Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I was asked the dumbest question

Default I was asked the dumbest question

So I am at the beach over the weekend fishing the surf. I had a surfer walk up to me in the water and ask me if I was practicing? What the heck? Practicing? I just looked at him and shook my head. Maybe I should have asked him if he was practicing with his surf board.

That has to be the dumbest question I have ever been asked while fishing.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Question Practic'n....

I can kinda understand the question.... Maybe the guy had never seen anyone fly fish in the surf before.... It's not exactly a mainstream activity. In general, the main target of fly fishing in NorCal is either warm or cold, freshwater fishing Salmon, Steelhead and/or Trout.

To illustrate, take a look at the number of threads/posts in the General Fly Fishing, Trout or Salmon and Steelhead Forums on this BB as opposed to almost any other category. Also, compare the number of Bulletin Boards and blogs related to fly fishing for Salmon, Steelhead and/or Trout as opposed to all other categories of fly fishing BB'. Lots more of the former then those related to fly fishing in the salt.

Scott,.... Neither You or I fit exactly into the mainstream description of fly fishers in Norcal who, in the main, worship at the alter in the church of anadromous Salmonids. Probably a lot more people surf than fly fish in the surf. It is slowly changing, tho.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I dont think thats a dumb question. There are no dumb questions... remember I rejoice anytime a stranger wants to talk to me. This world is so full of self involved people these days, it makes me happy when someone comes out of their way to say something thats not insulting I doubt that guy has a very high oppinion of the first fly fisher he met...Just my $.02

Surely you've never asked a gaper question Scott. There's a reason flyfisherman get a bad wrap for being stuck up or whatever. It's a good opportunity to educate people who may have an interest no matter how small in fly fishing.

I've seen your casting!

Jet
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author

I actually like when people ask me questions no matter how small because it makes me seem smart Cant beat that.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

I love it when people ask me what I am fishing for or ask other questions. But what stumped me is the thought I was practicing. I guess I am the only one that thought it was silly. We talked for a few minutes, especially since I grew up surfing.

And trust me, I am the last one anyone would consider a fly snob.

Your a funny man Jet!
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Default another dumb question

Hey Scott,

Did you catch anything? I went out to the surf a couple weeks ago and practiced. That's what I'm going to call it for now on when i get goose egged. Seriuosly, it was my first attempt at fishing from the surf and just curious where you went and how you did?

Thanks, Josh

Default Questions

Here's your sign
    Jacob

Maybe he thought you were practicing like a Doctor does.

Actually most of the time I go out it is to practice my casting, as the catching is relatively unusual.