Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From chaos to control...

Default From chaos to control...

This summer marks my 25th year of tying flies. My tying organization has always been chaos. As I traveled to fly fish more and more, and boxed up tying supplies for the trip, I found myself tying out of boxes even at home. Now that Im in a house with some space Ive spent the last week in my free time doing what Ive always dreamed of.

The opposite wall is a work in progress...

So you've always dreamed of opening a fly shop?

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Yup! Its all for sale. Right down to the faux leather office chair and R-11 fiberglass wall insulation. :-/

Thumbs up Organization....

Good stuff!! I'm still tying/storing out of flip top crates. my desk top is an old secretary cabinet which is falling apart. I think I might have you beat on the shear volume of materials, tho.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thanks Darian! Tying out of boxes and zip lock bags was just a way of life for me. I would bag up materials for specific patterns. Like I had bugger bags with marabou, seal fur and chenille. Chironomid bags, clouser bags. I had yards of loose thread and ribbing tangled around eachother. Glue, leaking and stuck to eachother.

You would be surprised at how volumn shrinks when you get organized. Many of those packages you see ar 4 to 5 deep. That roll away on the far left is stuffed with overstock I couldnt fit on the wall. I actually think if I put up twice as much pegboard, it would be completely filled. Something else I forced myself to do was throw away a mess of crap.

Now I just have to force myself to go fishing LOL

Question Waste....

Actually throw stuff.... away You're a better man than I. I can't recall the last time I threw out any fly material. I even keep the trimmings as I might find a use for it. My fishing partner looks at me like I'm touched. I do notice that she certainly doesn't hesitate to use the flies I tie, tho.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Wow, that is a thing of beauty. I need something like that to keep me from buying duplicates of material, which I have done several times. I figure if I live to about 700 and fish everyday I might run out of materials.

Default Materials...

"He who has the most materials wins." We're keeping Bills shop open and contributing to a good retirement for him.

Author unknown

Now we want a picture of it in a couple weeks to see if the chaos has returned.

Mike O Guest

Now there's a sick mind...never do that to yourself...organization is for the weak...

Seriously, wish I had the room