Thread: Union Valley Reservoir this weekend

Default Union Valley Reservoir this weekend

Hey all, Can anyone give me some pointers or places to hit up this weekend. I am going on my first camping trip ever and will be bringing my fly rod along. Any tips/info will help. Also, I do not have access to get out on the reservoir.

When you're driving out Ice House Road you'll cross numerous little streams. Park, and start walking. Small fish, but fun. Also remember to tell someone where you'll be.

Dan
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman

Not one of the lakes I have fished but many do.

Early (April/May/June) and late (October/November) in the season is more popular for lake fishing at this mid-elevation
    (~5,000') because the fish are shallower.

Early season many fish the tributary mouths on bigger lakes (till about Memorial Day). Rainbow trout hang around the stream mouths because they are hungy from spawning in the spring.

Fish are usually higher in the water colum in the AM and PM so I would fish early and late. Wind is usually calmer then too.

We are selling faster sinking full lines now for mid-summer dredging in lakes. WF 5 and 6 full sinking lines in type 4 are selling right now. Any fast sinking line will do.....not sinktips too much unless the tips are over 20 feet long like a "Teeny type" line 150-200 grains.

I would recommend some kind of floating devise like a float tube, pontoon boat, or any other boat to get out on the water and get around the lake.

I would start with any medium size nymphs (#12) or small attractors like small (#12) wolley buggers, wiggle tails or other small lake attractors. Shades of brown, olive or black are popular colors.

I like 4x FC tippet for this type of fishing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Valley_Reservoir

I would just Google "Union Valley Reservoir".....

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Union Valley Reservoir

From the rocky parts of the shoreline at Union Valley you should be able to get into some good smallmouth fishing using bead head buggers under the surface and foam spiders on top. I haven't tried for them this year but have done well in the past in the coves on the south side from a boat and have a friend who reported great evening fishing while camping.
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Wow, thanks for the tips. I probably should do a little hiking around the inlets. What time does the shop close today?