Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lower American - Salmon???

Default Lower American - Salmon???

Okay, I'm going to ask an honest question and hope I don't ruffle any feathers. Does anyone fish for Salmon in the Lower American? I am a trout fisherman, caught a couple (literally) half pounders last fall and am planning to spend a couple mornings per month fishing the Lower A this fall (I work a block from the River). I see people talking about Salmon fishing, but never read anything from the fly guys about it? Is it practical? Is it ethical (I really don't know anything about Salmon fishing)? Thoughts? Please remember I am asking an honest question, so give me honest (but polite) answers.

Thanks,

Dan
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman

Dan,
    I plan to go for my first salmon in the American. If I get any info I will forward it on to you. Hopefully someone will either post here or send one of us a PM with some type of info.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Sounds good. You think a 7wt is big enough? Any idea thoughts on tactics, flys? Sounds like I need to do some reading.

Dan
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman

From what I have heard a 7 weight might be a little under gunned. I was told to think of a freight train and how I would stop it. As for flies, purple, black, and pink salmon flies. At least that is what I have heard. I was told to fish faster water also.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Sounds easy enough . All I have is a 7wt so that will have to do for this fall. I have hooked salmon on accident on the lower Yuba with my 5wt and it was a joke, couldn't even get them to budge and ended up just breaking them off (one took a run and had me into backing in a matter of seconds). So fast water, sink tip, big colorfull streamer, now I wait for the fish.

Dan
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman

i saw a lot of salmon last fall below the hwy 20 bridge on yuba. never hooked one but i am glad i did not when i was using my 5wt they are way too much to handle less than a 7 wt

Can someone chime in that has actually caught one on a fly rod and give us some insight on how to get these on fly rods?

I have fished for Atlantic Salmon on fly rods but this was over hand casting flies from a canoe in New Brunswick Canada

"Faster water".....? Hmmmm.....? When we target kings on the Smith and the Eel and occassionally on the Russian, we would look to the deeper, slower holes. Then again, are most AR fish already looking at redd time?
    Bottom third of the water column or lower was generally our targeted area.
    ...lee s.
    Last edited by lee s.; 07-25-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Cool Salmon Fly Fishing....

I've fished for and caught Salmon on a fly from coastal estuaries, northern and valley rivers. Not claiming any great expertise, just a lot of first hand experience.

Generally, in the Valley, you can find Salmon in two different types of river water, shallow or deep. Those caught in deeper/slower water are, generally, not as close to spawning as those in shallow/faster water. You can see 'em rolling in deeper pools (like the pool under the old Fair Oaks footbridge) anytime after the middle of August. Different rivers have differing time tables for returning fish. Best targeted in low light conditions.

I used to like to fish for them in deeper pools. Generally, that requires a pram or drift boat to cover more water. You can wade in shallow water but your opportunities will be limited by your lack of mobility. The fish caught in shallows may not be very high quality (due to the yuk factor).

If you're not experienced with Salmon, a 9 weight rod would be the least I would recommend. Match it with a reel that has some capacity and a good drag. Think fast sinking heads/lines and weighted flies. Color may be important but patterns vary greatly. Many with great success. I prefer the classic Boss/Comets but just about anything will do. Leaders need to be heavy enough for the fish. They don't seem to be leader shy. 10 pounds test minimum. Lots of guys use light gear but, whether they admit it or not, the fish that they play forever will die regardless of whether they're released. Beyond that, no lecturing on ethics from me.

I stopped fishing the American or Feather for Salmon many years ago as large fish that are easily caught in these rivers seems to bring out the worst in a lot of us. My advice, these days would be to take a guided trip on the American with someone like Andy Guibord or pick another river. My choice would be around Red Bluff/Los Molinos on the Sacramento below, say, Blackberry Riffle in a drift boat. Caught several 20 pounders in that area many years ago.

Of course, the real problem these days is making sure you that you're fishing legally. Lots of regs in place covering Salmon fishing in the valley.

Frankly, I wouldn't eat a fish I caught in any valley river outside of the Sacramento as they all tend to pick up an algae/muddy taste. The only way they taste OK is smoked. Sacramento fish tend to arrive early and stay in better condition than other runs. Catching Salmon in a valley river isn't really much of a challenge. Just Find some fish and get busy.

Anyway, good luck and I hope I haven't discouraged you.
    Last edited by Darian; 07-25-2012 at 05:13 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Here ya go D.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7172

I switched up to a 10 wt, but you're still trying to turn a volkswagon.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.