Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lower American - Salmon???

Cool Salmon....

Well, I forgot to mention that there's much in books, magazine articles and DVD's on fly fishing for Salmon. Some of it reference material, much of it is informative/literary. Some fresh, some salt water. Check these out:

Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon, by Ferguson/Johnson/Trotter

Fly Fishing the Pacific Inshore, by Ken Hanley

Saltwater Salmon on The Fly, by Ken Hanley (DVD)

Anything by Russell Chatham
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Keep in mind that these fish run fron 15 to 50 pounds! A ten weight rod would be a good choice with a fast sinking line. Heavier rods and lines that you would use to chase stripers would work. I would choose a fly that would come close to what the conventional gear people are using. A fly such as the Prom Dress is a good fly. The Comet pattern probably has caught more salmon on the west coast than any other pattern ever tied (IMHO ).

Default Salmon of the fly

I used to fish for salmon with an 8 wt singlehand rod but now use a 9 wt spey. Best place to get a nice salmon in CA is on the upper Trinity, now is a good time. I like the new intermediate Skagit line with T-8 or T-11 MOW tips and 12 lb maxima ultra-green. I agree with Terry, comets work very well, I often tiethem with longer shimmery synthetic tails.

I usually fish deeper pools and the kings tend to stack up, so when you swing through them you can foul hook a lot of fish. I became quite adept at recognizing dorsal hooked kings (they often jump immediately) or tail-hooked kings (take off screaming upstream). Fair hooked fish give you a couple of deep head shakes and usually run downstream.

After losing a huge number of classically tied comets I experimented with circle hooks, weighting the flies so they ride hook up, tying "weed guards" using either monofilament gaurd or a tuft of stiff bucktail to cover the hook point. I currently use dumbell eyes to make the hook ride up with the bucktail wing to cover the point. So far, they seem to work well.

If you have a chance I would head up to the Trinity River, I have heard that the river is pretty well stuffed right now.
    Brian Endlich

For the Feather and the American river here in town you would need a sinking line that can get down where the fish like to stay during the day. As for rod 8 your kind of pushing it. I would do at least 9 for me the 10 is the best. They do pull so be ready they are not trout or shad. I have fished for salmon for a long time. With a fly rod since 2001.

I will tell you this if you fish for these early birds they will pull like a damn train with out any issues. They are full of energy and ready to fight for there lives! Stay safe and have fun if you go out and fish for some.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

It's been a while since I've posted on this board; however, the subject caught my interest. I've not purposely targeted salmon on the AR and unintentionally hooked-up with one while pursuing steelhead. What I've learned is that salmon and steelhead are pretty much attracted to the same fly patterns. My accidental hook-up was with a 7 wt rod using a fast sink line with a 2x leader and swing/strip technique on a black/purple leach pattern size 8. It was a heck of a fight..., actually, for a fairly significant amount of time..more like a tug-a-war pulling against the fish and the river current. Fortunately, I landed the salmon and it wasn't too big - approximately 9 lbs then a quick release. Fished fairly deep slower moving water. Oh, be prepared to chase the fish down if it turns downsteam on a run and watch for slippery rocks. Have fun and report back any success.
    Fish in "stealth" mode.

Lost one and landed one this afternoon at Riverbend Park. The landed one went 25 to 30 lbs.
    First time salmon fishing since the runs crashed. Gear guys hooking up constantly.

Plastic bead melted onto a hook per Joe Shirshac's instructions years ago. A 4ft piece of 15lb maxima for a leader, type 4 sinking shooting head and 200ft of 30lb amnesia for shooting/running line.

Lost about a dozen hooks to snags so bring a lot of them.

If all I had was a 7wt I'd use it but I'd have to promise not to bitch if it breaks. These fish are incredibly strong. You'll need the shooting head set-up because the casts are roughly 100 ft. Plust if you lose a line at least it's not 70 bucks stuck on the bottom.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

I used to fish for them quite a bit with a fly rod. Good times. I haven't in a few years though.

I did a little snorkling at the hatchery yesteday. Here is a little raw video from swimming with them in the river below the gates.

MN

Quote Originally Posted by mike N View Post
    I used to fish for them quite a bit with a fly rod. Good times. I haven't in a few years though.

I did a little snorkling at the hatchery yesteday. Here is a little raw video from swimming with them in the river below the gates.

MN

That is one nice video thanks for posting! The fish look good and soon ready for spawning.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Thanks for sharing Mike! Did you happen to see any big resident stripers during your dive? I have a friend that dives in there during the summer and sees some hogs in that hole.

Mikey, long time no see Bud!

Excellent video.

How about doing a drift and swim through our favorite run?

You'll need a knife of course.

And maybe a small handgun, I'm sure one of those rednecks will try to land you and steal your roe.

You could plot out the rebar snags for us. And maybe chart a new course for the "chase 'em down the rapids" routine. I haven't had to do that yet but I'm sure it's coming.
    Thanks for the underwater views.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.