Thread: Frontline on Pebble mine

Default Frontline on Pebble mine

The PBS show frontline just ran a show on the Alaska Pebble Mine project. You can watch it online if you missed it. It was very good.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/alaska-gold/

Question Pebble Mine....

I've, occasionally, been following information about this project but had no idea how vast it is. It's footprint would extend past the mine area, a pipeline and highways to include a new port and power generating station. Plus, high seas shipping. Lots of potential impacts. Since Alaska's history reflects that the state has never denied a mining permit and the consortium is so well financed, it looks like the deck's stacked....

I can understand the viewpoints of both sides presented but, given the mining industries history of major disasters and abandonment of closed, polluting mines, I can't get behind this one.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

The period for comments to the EPA on the Pebble Mine proposal ended last week. There were about 200,000 comments with 98% of them opposed to the mine.

There is progress being made. We just have to continue the effort.

Mike
    "Someone just back of you while you are fishing is just as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you are writing a letter to your girl." - E. Hemingway