Thread: NF Yuba river report

Default NF Yuba river report

This past Thursday I was lucky enough to fish with Mike Churchill from this board. We had fun chasing trout on the NF Yuba. The dry and dropper method worked very well for me. Almost all of my fish came from my tungsten beaded PT dropper. We both got into some fun dry fly fishing at dusk. Here's a few pictures from that day:

The water levels have been dropping, if you want to get up there and fish you better do it soon.
    Last edited by Adam Grace; 07-18-2012 at 08:03 PM.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I'll be up there this weekend with my wife and our dog. It should be an interesting trip with a 1 year old German Shepard on her first camp out. I'll let you know what happened.

Beautiful pictures Adam......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Good stuff Adam! I saw you guys out there while I was driving up river with my clients, in fact one of you was hooked up! That river sells itself with the sheer beauty it provides.

Jon.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Smile Thanks Adam

Thanks for posting the photos, Adam. Should have posted more of the river and less of me, except perhaps for the fact that I'm a walking Kiene's ad there. Items purchased at the shop visible in the pics include the hat, buff, sun gloves, vest, TFO 3-wt, reel and line, wading staff, quick-dry pants, wading boots, flies--geez, I must be a regular customer or something....

Adam had the hot hand last Thursday, he humbly mumbled that he'd lost count, but I think he landed over thirty, most on the dropper. I was having one of those days where a dropper just meant that I tangled up 5 times as often, so I gave up the dropper after catching one and missing a few others on it. I got 9 or so on top, 6 of them between 7:45 and 9:00 p.m.

I went back last Saturday with another friend and his 13-yr old son to get the kid into some dry fly action. We started out in the pocket water between Bassett's and Sierra City around 3:15 and had good luck in on attractor dries for a couple of hours there before moving down to the C&R water from 6 to 9. Water temp was 63 above Sierra City in late afternoon.

Things were very dead in the C&R water with no significant hatch or rise activity until right at dark, when just a few fish came up. I only picked up 3 in the evening session.

Love that stream. But if you're thinking about hitting the NFY this summer, don't delay.

Mike
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.