Thread: Discounted Trips - Yuba & Lower Sac Report

Default Discounted Trips - Yuba & Lower Sac Report

Hey guys. It has been a while since my last report. Things have definitely been different this summer with me staying in Chico for the fist time in 6 years. I have to admit that I am missing the cooler weather of Idaho and Wyoming. But needless to say the fishing remains really strong despite the hot weather. In this report you can find current reports on the Yuba and the Lower Sac plus save some money this summer with a discounted trip.

Yuba: The Yuba has had good dry fly fishing the last 3 weeks. The hopper fishing has been really consistent from 1-4PM. It definitely seems like the fishing before and after that time window is really hit and miss. The best hopper fishing has been on the lower parts of the river near hammond grove. Right now this is the perfect time to go do a pure half day dry fly trip.

The nymphing has been pretty average. On full day trips we have started fishing around 10AM and break for lunch around 1PM. In that time frame my clients have been hooking between 8-10 fish a morning. Then after lunch we go dry or die and stick with the hopper game for the rest of the afternoon. Most afternoons we have been getting about 15+ eats on the hopper. One thing to keep in mind is that it seems like the bigger fish are on the banks looking for hoppers as there aren't many bugs hatching right now. With the food source on the bank its natural for the larger fish to congegrate that way.

Lower Sac: The Lower Sac has been really good with the warm weather of late. I have been spending the majority of my time between Jellys Ferry and Bend. Most days we are hooking 40+ fish. What is really cool right now is the variety of the fishing opportunities. We are catching fish in the rocks, clay, and swirls. A couple of the swirls are fishing really good right now. It is so cool hooking a fish in a swirl and watching it swim straight to the bottom bending those 6 weights in half.

Openings: For those of you looking to get some fishing in my openings are below:

Discounted Trips: A full day trip for the half day cost of $295. This is a savings of $130.

Aug 2-3, 7-14

Regular Price Openings: Aug 19-29, 31 & Sept 1-5

I hope all of you are well and are getting some fishing in. Good luck out there and stay cool!

Tight Lines!
    Last edited by RJSFLYTRIP; 07-22-2012 at 10:50 PM.
    Guiding out here on some of the best trout waters of the west coast, it is my goal to fill your memory bank with plenty of fish tales, big and small!

Default Lower Sac on July 23rd.

Well I had a client catch the first steelhead of the season on the Sac. We landed a nice 23" fresh bright buck on the Jellys to Bend drift. It really caught me by surprise as that is the earliest steelhead I have ever caught on the Sac. I know that people catch them in the end of August but July is really early. Throw in 4 fish between 16-18" on dries and then another 25 rainbows hooked on nymphs turned out it was a great day.

Still have openings for anyone interested.
    Guiding out here on some of the best trout waters of the west coast, it is my goal to fill your memory bank with plenty of fish tales, big and small!

Default Yuba Report from July 25th

Well the hopper fishing on the Yuba was really good today. It was literally the best day of dry fly fishing that I have ever seen on the Yuba. Now it did help that I had two shop pros from a bay area fly shop fishing with me but either way it was pretty ridiculous. This is the perfect time to do a dry fly only half day trip. Thats right we will tie on a hopper to start and you will still have it on at the end of the day. If anyone is interested in doing something like this then we will start at 11AM and end around 4PM. This is the prime time hopper window.

Take Care.

How is the evening fishing? Myself and another guy are heading to the rivers above Redding Thursday-Sunday, but would like to hit an evening hatch somewhere on our way up. We were thinking of the Yube (or even the Truckee, but it's kind of out of the way and it sounds like the evening hatch has shrunk to 15 minutes), but it perhaps we should just get an earlier start and maybe hit the Upper Sac. Thoughts?

Default Dry Fly Fishing

The evening game on the Yuba is going to be a small window. The best hopper fishing right now is right in the middle of the day. I would probably stay on the upper rivers above Shasta. If you are going to already be up there it doesnt make sense to drive out of your way and cut into fishing time. Can you catch fish on the Yuba with caddis stuff right before dark absolutely but you can do the same things on the other rivers without the additional gas money.

Those are my thoughts. Hope it helps.