Thread: Dangerous flows from Caribou into NF Feather

Default Dangerous flows from Caribou into NF Feather

2000 cfs out of the dam at Caribou for the next 2 months, if the youth I passed on the Caribou Rd. yesterday is to be believed. A shocking amount of water, to be sure.

This means you take your life in your hands getting anywhere near the Feather from the dam at Caribou into the NF Feather and then down to Belden, where the lack of release at the Yellow River balances things out.

Dunno about 2 months, but there are boating (whitewater) releases for this wknd (7/28-9)

Anyone know where to find flow data for the Caribou dam online?

The quantity of water coming out of the dam was shocking -- particularly given the 3 campgrounds full of kids along the Caribou road.

I don't see how this particular release would be of any interest to boaters -- the Feather itself from the dam to the NF above Belden can't be of any interest to them and the run from the junction to Belden is so short -- I thought they were more interested in the runs below Rock Creek, through Tobin and Storrie, etc. Would the big Caribou releases be to prime the pump for a Rock Creek dam release (in spite of what the random teen on the road told me)?

I thought I'd planned my little trip pretty well and then felt undone when I got there and clearly didn't have the right data at all.

Other than knowing a reliable source (mine is a person, not a website):

I don't know where release schedules are published or posted; maybe the whitewater people know better.

how about this? (sounds like there is a whitewater schedule and some work that involves the power plant going offline and more water in the Belden Reach):

http://plumascounty.org/Outdoor%20Re...verrafting.htm
    Last edited by amoeba; 07-30-2012 at 04:27 PM.

I just fished in that area last week, the flows are HUGE. One of the PGE pumps is busted causing them to release about 10 times more water through Caribou. I heard from the camp host that PGE brought by a notice that it will be flowing like that for 2 months.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member