Thread: Backpacking/fishing

Default Backpacking/fishing

Planning on doing a backpacking trip in the sierra's. Taking my gf but I have no clue where to go. Im planning on going on labor day weekend for two nights. Does anyone have any suggestions where to go? I'd like to camp beside a lake and maybe fish for some goldens. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Default Glacier Lake

The Grouse Ridge area is beautiful. There are a decent number of lakes where you can set up camp and many of the lakes have fish in them. I was told Glacier Lake has golden's, but I don't know for sure.

Grouse Ridge area is sweet, but expect crowds on Labor Day weekend. Get up there early to get a decent spot. I've been out there on a weekday and seen LOTS of people.

Dan
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman

Ageed, Grouse Ridge is a nice option...easy access, National Forest so no permitting bs, lots of lakes, but overall mediocre fishing imo. Dunno about goldens. Very scenic though! Also agree it has the potential to get crowded, but solitude can be found away from the main trailheads.

Several lakes in Desolation Wilderness have golden trout. I'm not qualified to name names, but the information is out there. My understanding is that they require a pretty good walk to get to them, but certainly within reach of the main trailheads.

Permits for labor day weekend could be an issue, though, especially if you come in from the east (Lake Tahoe) side. The west side sees much less foot traffic.

There are other wilderness areas that have walk-up self registration for wilderness permits, but you'll have to do some research as to which ones have this option and which require a trip to the ranger station. Most lakes with goldens do indeed require some miles on the trail. Given the fact that Labor Day weekend is usually packed in the Sierra, finding a place in the national forest is indeed good advice. Also, how far are you willing to drive from The City? How many hours in the car is the maximum?
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Default Desolation Wildrness

I'd park at Echo Lake and either take the boat taxi across or hike over to the Desolation trailhead and its about 4 miles into Lake of the Woods. When you hit the lake hike around the north side and you'll pass some nice looking spots to camp...keep going. Before you hit the little dam there's a great spot nestled in some big rocks and its also a spot where the wind blows a lot of surface food and the fish congregate. You'll need a wilderness permit and I think they only allow 4 or 6 people in there per night, so get to the Ranger Station before it opens.

Be warned, I took my GF in there about 10 years ago for a weekend and taught her how to fish. THat GF is now my wife and she doesn't like fishing. I dunno if I took her to the right place.
    Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 07-31-2012 at 04:13 PM.