Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vest or Chest Pack?

Sierra Trading has a decent looking one for $38. I don't know what to look for. Minimalist and me do not often work together well. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/gla...colorFamily=01

I have the fishpond double haul. I like having water when fishing during the summer. The only down side is when the water bladder is full it make the back pack very heavy and your feel it in your shoulders after awhile. The chest pack is nice because it's big enough for just the things I need and keeps me from packing a bunch of stuff I don't need. The other down side for me is I sweat profusely where the pack is against my body.

THis is the one I got from Orvis. On sale at the moment. http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3H62s

I've been using a chest pack for about 7 years. The first was the techy looking william joseph and the last couple years the WJ old school brown one. I like it very much but it definitely can't hold more than 1 big and 1 small CF fly box plus tippet and other bits.

One thing I really like about them is the neck strap goes through the back and becomes the waist strap. This lets you just wear it loose over your head and one shoulder like a casual satchel so it rides on your hip when walking. Also small enough to set on a table or tying bench. I tried the integrated chest and backpack fishpond but it's quite a production and had much more room than needed for my use and seemed clunky. I have a backpack for when needing layers, lunch, etc..

If you think that might suit your style, look at the WJ old school or the Simms version (which can hold a little bit more). The fishpond equivalents seem overdone.

I have been looking for years for the perfect way to carry gear. I have had vests, packs, pockets and more. Most of the vests either have pockets that hang to far out and wear on your neck. What I really have wanted is something that I can wear on my back and flip it to the front when I need it. However, most of the slings wandereded around to much or you had to remove it to get it to the front and get things out of it.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I bought the Patagonia Stealth Atom Sling and so far it is the best thing I could ever find. It holds as much as you would really need while wading and wandering up and down a river. It sits high on your back so you can wear it in waist deep water. You don't have to remove it to use it and when you flip it to the front, all of your zippers are right side up and easy to get to.

I don't think there will ever be the perfect bag for all types/styles of fishing. This one comes close: http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...?p=48325-0-961

After using just about everything on the planet, I've discovered that a larger waist pack (like Fishpond's Waterdance or the Nimbus) combined with a good lanyard works perfectly. Pack stays out of the way and all the essentials are right at your chest on the lanyard. Works well for a good chunk of time on the water. For day trips, I'd just add a back pack to hold some added layers and food. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by luckydude View Post
    I was just looking around at this stuff and I ended up getting this:

http://www.fishpondusa.com/doublehaul.cfm
    OK, I got this about an hour ago. It's pretty slick. The chest pack has two zippered compartments. If you are carrying a camera then you put that in the smaller and you put your fly boxes in the bigger one. I have 4 small boxes and 3 spools of tippet in there and I could definitely get a couple more boxes in there easily, maybe 4 if I really pushed.

There is a mesh pocket on the front that will hold a tippet spool. And 2 sleeves, good for some hemostats.

I definitely could fish all day long from this chest pack. What I'd be missing that I carry in a vest is a toilet kit (trowel, paper, lighter).

The backpack part, if you choose to use it, is pretty big. You could put a 3L water bladder back there and still have room for DSLR.

No idea if this info is useful, but I'm liking the setup. If I could change one thing it would be on the chest pack, I'd make it "boxes", "camera", "tippets". But that's pretty minor, I'm liking this setup and will be taking it to the south fork of the flathead for a week. I'll report back after that.

I find chest packs too uncomfortable for me as they give me pain in the neck and upper shoulder areas so, I've been wearing vests. I've decided I'm going to try the lanyard route along with the following pack http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...SH-MOAB-6.html and see how it goes.
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."

google search RIBZ

Ray over there does a good job and I use mine for many thing
    hiking
    fish
    snowboard

Default It all depends upon what you're trying to do...

You going to have different types of "arrows" in your quiver to get the job done.

I prefer matching the hatch type of fishing and need a vest/pack that can carry a large volume of fly boxes along with a hydration system. I used the Simms vests for many years and since they're such wonderfully made vest that don't come apart, I purchased a new one and used it for a few trips but I noticed that it didn't give me the proper back support that I required (old sport injuries). I went to the Fishpond vest/packs and was impressed with the proper body support and here is the one I purchase a few years ago:

http://www.fishpondusa.com/wasatch.cfm

This is a wonderful vest/pack if you find the need to carry a lot of boxes and water.

http://www.recycledwaders.com/pages/...p_nooksack.asp

I know a lot of guys who enjoy freestone fishing that a chest pack would fit the bill because you only need a few boxes for your flies.

If fact, Herb Burton (Trinity Fly Shop) has worked with the owner of Recycled Wader for a carry bag that's perfect for spey casting where you don't need that much actual hardware. It has a belt to either wear around your waist or diagnostically over the neck and you keep the bag behind you while casting (no hangups with your shooting line) but you can swing it around in front to change fliest or tippets. I agree if you need a satchel to carry one box of flies and a few spools of tippet and leaders; this would fit the situation:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0342.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	4768   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0343.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	4769   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0344.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	4770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0345.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	4771  
    Last edited by Terry Imai; 07-22-2012 at 11:05 PM.