Thread: Rod ferrules seized

Default Rod ferrules seized

Need some help-

My pops is up in Alaska doing the Kenia Jerk for reds. Apparently while trying to land one it took a swim around him and busted his Loomis GLX at the bottom section. He cant for the life of him get the ferrules released to fit it back in the tube. Any tricks on getting the taken care of. I just want to make sure he doesn't spray it with some "break-free" stuff that will ruin the gloss and have loomis reject his warranty return.

If it will fit, put it in the freezer.

I have had luck putting ice on the ferrules for 10 min then using a rag on both sides of the ferrule and slowly twisting each side in the opposite direction. Good luck.

Default stuck

Friend had a problem with stuck ferrules - tried most everything with no success. He
    called the rod company and they told him to break the rod so that he could ship it.
    Received a replacement. How 'bout a call to Loomis?
    Myself? I have some soft rubber triangles - think angle iron shape - and they work
    for me.
    Your Dad might also think about taking the rod into a tackle shop.
    Best,
    Larry S

I've had problems in the past and this is what I did:

I sit on the bumper and put the rod behind my knees with the jammed ferrule in the center between my knees. I grab the rod ends from the outside of each knee, then I gently and slowly spread my knees apart.

It helps if you wear a hat made out of tin foil.

Question Stuck....

I dunno, the first part's good but wearing a tin foil hat while holding a graphite rod soujnds like it might result in giving a guy large charge....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Love the tin hat idea! LOL!

Try a pair of those cloth gloves with the palm side dipped in that rubber stuff for better grip.

Heard the ice thing works too... Phone call to the manufacturer about breaking rod into peices for shipping sounds good too.

JGB