Thread: First Report - La Paz

Thumbs up First Report - La Paz

I just got a call from my buddy Jim May who is part of my group down there right now. I couldn't make it this year because of medical reasons, but I'm glad to say things have really turned on in La Paz. Yesterday, Jim says they had more sardinas than they needed.

Everyone is catching lots of dorado with several taken in the 30+, 35, and 40 pound class today. Jim and Steve Purpura took roosters yesterday at Cerralvo. And get this, first timer down there Jerry Shoemaker, hooked a marlin on either a 9w. or a 10w. rod before breaking off. I know what size rod he had because that's all he took.

The warmer weather and warmer water has finally brought in plenty of bait AND fish. Geez, of all the time for me to get laid up.

Last night they all went to dinner at Tailhunters and spoke with the owner Jonathon Roden. Jonathon had been speaking with Jay recently and said Jay fell off his bike and broke his wrist. Damn! Good thing it happened when he got home instead of before his trip.

Look forward to some good pictures when Jim posts next time.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Thumbs up La Pazzzz.....

Geez!!! I'm sorry to hear you and Jay are both laid up. Reminds me of two Octobers ago when I broke my ankle down there....

Good report from the guys down there. Finally got some bait. OK!!!!
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Good to hear a positive, non biased report on the baja. Things had to change at some point. Sounds like its about to bust wide open.

Sory to hear about Jays injury. Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post
    And get this, first timer down there Jerry Shoemaker, hooked a marlin on either a 9w. or a 10w. rod before breaking off. I know what size rod he had because that's all he took.
    Let this be a lesson to all readers who plan on a trip to "big game land"

more like a stress crack, than broken but what's worst is not I have gout in the thumb/wrist joint that's worst than anything else. It's healing, I'll be ready in september. It's gotta get better by the 18th, that's when I'm doing a fly tying demo for the Tracy Club. I'll be tying up wig hair bait fish and a real simple crease fly and using the new product called Solarez.
    hope to see some of you there.

It's not the lack of warm weather that kept the fish away it was the 72 to 78 degree water we had for 8 weeks. I've been following the terrafin water temp charts and it's definitely changing. Off the coast of Mexico is where are the warm waters were and you can see the results. 4 tropical storms all ready in which two became hurricanes. Haven't checked today but there was one heading NW on the pacific. Don't know if it died out yet, going to check

Jay