Thread: East Carson

Default East Carson

Thinking of hitting the East Carson in the next few days. Anyone been up there recently below Hangmans Bridge?

Usually just pound banks with a hopper dropper and take time to dredge out the deeper pools etc.

Any current info would be great, PM's are fine!

The Death Ride is on Sat (tomorrow)... check the schedule but expect delays and holds due to the bike race.

Road Closures:
    From 5:00am - 7:15am, the road will be closed to traffic from the Markleeville Courthouse to the junction of Highways 89 & 4. Monitor & Ebbetts Pass will be closed to vehicular traffic starting at 5:00am. Monitor Pass reopens to vehicular traffic at 12:00pm. Ebbetts Pass reopens to vehicular traffic at 3:00pm.

Quote Originally Posted by EricW View Post
    The Death Ride is on Sat (tomorrow)... check the schedule but expect delays and holds due to the bike race.
    shouldnt be an issue I am going to go mid week next week sometime. '

thanks for the heads up!

I was there yesterday, 7-12 from about 9am to 3pm.. Fished below hangmans, was hot, others I talked to said they were not catching any. I didn't catch any, but could see about 20 fish in a certain pool, they would turn and look but not hit the fly. I tried everything on a floating line and no luck. Maybe a sink tip with a streamer might work. Made me think of using my spin gear with a jig. Always seems to work. Watch out for snakes, didn't see any rattlers, but I stayed very close to the water or in the water. Saw a few of those black and yellow stripped snakes in the water. They don't seem to be interested in us. Do you know what they are? The parking had 3-5 cars, and seemed like I had it to myself, at the area I was fishing. Didn't go down very far. Saw some guys taking the high road trail further back. Flow is reported at 80 today. Was 86 yesterday. Wading was easy. Saw alot of stone flys dead on the rocks.

If the stripes were going the length of the body I would guess garter snakes or stripped racer.

Both are extremely dangerous for crickets.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

I usually fish the E. Carson after the crowds thin, Sept. and October before the snow flies.

Exclamation

I fished the E Carson on Tuesday. First by the Hwy 4 bridge. Got a couple of hits, but that was it. Then my dumb ass hiked down Markleville Creek to the Trophy section. That was kewl, but I wouldn't recommend going my route. Still I caught a few on Markleville Creek, but the beauty was when I goto the junction of E Carson & the creek. I only caught a 13 incher, but the fight of that fish made it all worth while. The girth, the colors, the scene. I would definitely say checkout the Trophy section. BTW, at night there was a stonefly hatch as well. Just be careful of rattlers.

the water temps and flows are getting to the point where it is going to be hazardous to the fish....me and my fishing buddy usually hammer it pretty hard, and unless there is a serious change in flows, we are done with it for the season

I was there 2 weeks ago, and it was great. Drifting caddis, and they hammered it. With the water this low, they were not holding in the usual places they had in the past.

Thanks for the reports guys! Much appreciated, sounds like the water levels are getting pretty low. As such I will go pretty early before the sun heats up the surface temps too much. Will report my findings. I generally do well there with streamers if there is a little color to the water but if really clear it can be tough.

Also will watch out for snakes. I believe the black ones with yellow stripes are indeed called striped racers. Aptly named, they are pretty darn fast.