Thread: Stonefly Observations

Default Stonefly Observations

This spring and early summer on the Middle Fork Feather River provided 5 different stoneflies that were out and about. Each one was very prolific, and I'm starting to think a low water year is beneficial to all aquatic insects as they are less likely to be swept away down to Lake Oroville. I do not have a degree in entomology, or biology, in fact I barely made it out of high school; Snowboarding and trout came first. So here is a quick run down on my observations and please feel free to chime in.

The easiest of all stoners to identify, the giant Golden Stone. I have taken my biggest trout on the MFFR with an adult pattern in June just before dark in the deeper pools.

Isoperla, also known as the Yellow Sally ranges in size from 7-16mm. There is another stoner from the same family that is a bit bigger 19-22mm and lime green in color. I did not get a picture of one this year. I just call this one "the little green stone". What's most amazing about this particular sub species is that it hatches in the drift just like a mayfly; It does not hatch out on rocks. There is so much more I want to learn about this stoner.

Alloperla range in size from 7-12mm and are a neon bright yellow/chartreuse color. There are two sizes out right now on the MFFR, one in a size 18, and the other in a size 16. Find a willow and shake the branches and the air will be filled with these stoners fluttering about.

Jon.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Question Stoners....

Ya know, when I squint just a bit, those stoners look just like the ones I used to see in the evening on the K Street Mall....

Actually, I really like the photo's. Especially the photo of the Alloperla. Good looking bug!!! Hope you'll keep those photo's coming.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

"Ya know, when I squint just a bit, those stoners look just like the ones I used to see in the evening on the K Street Mall".

LOL! No doubt!