Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plants on E. & W. Carson

Question Plants on E. & W. Carson

Are they still planting the East & West Carson rivers?

I looked on 3 reliable pages with no info/updates...
    Tight Lines

Default fish plants

LEO

Look on the DFG page. It's one of the links.

Default Fish plants on Carsons

LEO

just checked and didn't find any plants done and none scheduled.

DFG is not the entity that does the majority of the stocking...it is alpine county. Reach out to them; they are a better source of info.

Jed

Why are you so worried about the stockers? There is fish in there. If you dont know what your doing hit up Tahoe fly fishing and book one of the many guides that live in the area and fish on a regular basis.

I fished 88/89/4 over the weekend. Had good success on the upper creeks away from the easy access spots and was able to sight a lot of fish. It's still green up there but drying quickly. The EC on 89 is gorgeous shape (55° water in the morning) but was being hammered by all manner of anglers as is typical. Didn't pick up any there, so moved up.

More to your question, Alpine county has a facebook page that occasionally mentions stocking. Not sure if that's the official outlet for info.

Default Thanks all

Thanks all with the responses. Yeah, I had checked the DF&G page and the Alpine Co. Facebook page and saw nothing as you guys did...

With all the fishing pressure up there, I like to go fairly recently after a plant. We come up for Sacramento. So we want to make sure it will be worth the drive!

Anyway, thanks again...looks like staying in the valley for awhile...I will live. Shad still biting like crazy around here.
    Tight Lines

From this morning's Sac Bee:

Alpine County planted 1800 pounds of 12- to 20-inch rainbows this past week. Alpine County will be making similar plants this week and next week to load the river with fish for a total of 5400 pounds over three weeks. The water flows were down to 220 cfs-perfect for all types of fishing. Everyone was catching limits this past week, even 4-year olds!! 12-year old Jessica Williams of Sacramento caught her own limit of rainbows on the West Carson on Gulp! salmon eggs.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/06/21/457...#storylink=cpy

Quote Originally Posted by El Rey View Post
    From this morning's Sac Bee:

Alpine County planted 1800 pounds of 12- to 20-inch rainbows this past week. Alpine County will be making similar plants this week and next week to load the river with fish for a total of 5400 pounds over three weeks. The water flows were down to 220 cfs-perfect for all types of fishing. Everyone was catching limits this past week, even 4-year olds!! 12-year old Jessica Williams of Sacramento caught her own limit of rainbows on the West Carson on Gulp! salmon eggs.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/06/21/457...#storylink=cpy
    It's all good.... Great to see these fishing opportunities for the kids.... On the flip side, the I 80 corridor is pretty barren for such opportunities..... I guess the "wine and cheese" economy is more important to the greater north Tahoe and Truckee areas in the eyes of CA DFG.

I grew up fishing Alpine, Calaveras, Mono, and Toulumne Counties with a nice Fenwick spinning rod and Pautzkes..... I wish I lived a bit closer..... Beautiful fishing areas.

Mike O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    It's all good.... Great to see these fishing opportunities for the kids.... On the flip side, the I 80 corridor is pretty barren for such opportunities..... I guess the "wine and cheese" economy is more important to the greater north Tahoe and Truckee areas in the eyes of CA DFG.

I grew up fishing Alpine, Calaveras, Mono, and Toulumne Counties with a nice Fenwick spinning rod and Pautzkes..... I wish I lived a bit closer..... Beautiful fishing areas.
    Nope...those rivers had historical populations of bows or cutties. They also [sarcasm]might get interbred with non native rainbows [\sarcasm]. It's the eco-whackos and their dupes, the people who want pure bred native rainbows...even though it's too late for that. But it's OK to have browns, cause they can't interbreed (and get big!).

Carsons don't potentially run to the sea, like upper Hat...so it's OK to put fish in them for kids and people who eat fish to fish for.