Thread: Florida Tarpon in Feb/March?

Default Florida Tarpon in Feb/March?

heading to the Kissimmee/Orlando area of Florida sometime in Feb or march and was hoping to find a place within a couple hours drive to do some flyfishing for some saltwater gamefish. Would like to target Tarpon if possible. 20lbs and up would be great.

Does anyone know if there are tarpon around florida this time of year.
    Recommendations for a good guide and other species options would be greatly appreciated.

I just completed my first saltwater fishing trip a few weeks ago to Placencia Belize and am absolutely hooked on Tarpon. What a great gamefish! We jumped 24 tarpon between 2 guys the first day! Only landed 3 of those though. Caught my first Permit and a 12lb snook. it was truly a trip of a lifetime for me. Need to find some way to get a fix while travelling with the family now during the winter holidays.

Thanks,

Chris

Who were you fishing with in Placencia? I heard that Ian Cuevas had two guys that jumped a lot of fish and only landed a couple.

Ian and Eloy Cueves. We were with Ian the first day when we had all that excitment. Both were great guides. How do you know Ian?

Chris

I fish with him, Bruce Leslie and and Benji Eiley. I have been going down there for about 7 years. Bruce emailed and told me about the day Ian had and that I should get down there. Lots of poon around.

Default Shark then?

Looks like there are not many tarpon around and those that are get pretty lazy with the cooler temps. I hear shark fishing is supposed to be good in the Jupiter area during this time though. Anybody ever try spinner shark fishing with Scott Hamilton?

I was hoping to find something closer to Davenport, Like in Tampa Bay area of the Gulf coast. Any ideas?