Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: to switch or not to switch?

I'm just curious what the One or the TCX can do for me that the rods I already have can't. I converted a single hand 10' 7 wt fisher into a little switch rod - I would not trade this rod for any switch out there!

Rod manufacturers keep designing new rods - they need to to stay in business. I would venture that an average caster will not be able to tell a huge difference between a rod that cost $800 and one that cost $300 or $400 as long as it has an action that they like.

How many single hand 4 wt rods have been developed since the original Scott G series and yet I would put the Scott G 904 single hander up against any 4 weight - can it throw a full line - likley under ideal conditions but throwing a full line or a laser loop is not what I want a 4 wt for. It absolutely will do anything I want a 4 wt to do and do it extremely well

I would also put the Scott ARC 1287 up against any 7 wt spey rod - And again, I would not trade this rod for any other on the market.

This was kinda my point...the tcx switch rods are sweet--but $840 sweet? Compare the Ross at $349?

It's not like golf clubs, or even rods of 5 years ago. Today's Chinese made rods are catching up with American goodness all day long.

That said, I have a tcx switch, and a hatch reel. I have to admit that I am a but of a gear whore, and when I get into an obsession I want to have the most "drool worthy" rig.

The fishing reality, kind of like golf, is that when i do it a lot, I quit whoring gear and start worrying about my game.

I switched. Thanks again for all the info and offers to test cast some rods.
    Took an hour casting lesson and fished later in the day. No better way to practice than to actually fish.
    I caught some shad on a spot impossible to fish with a single-hander:

I'm sold. If you see a dude hooking himself while 'practicing', feel free to give some pointers after you're done laughing.

Default TFO vs Helios switch

My two cents... Ignorance is bliss.

I have a tfo 7wt switch. I was happy until I demoed the Orvis Helios.

It amazing the difference. The feel and sensitivity of the orvis blows away the TFO as you'd hope a rod of that price would. The Helios provides feed back to your hands at all times, seems easier to learn with this kind of sensitivity too. The TFO is an over priced stick now that I know the difference. If you can afford it, spend up. If not go with a good entry level rod, see if you stick with it then upgrade later.

True, I can catch fish and bomb line with my tfo now that i've learned but I wish I hadn't tried that Helios. Ignorance was bliss.