Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: to switch or not to switch?

Default to switch or not to switch?

My interest level has increased after seeing the two-handed guys in action this shad season. I can see the effectiveness and efficiency of the switch rod and am thinking about getting into it, primarily for shad fishing. Here’s a set of switch rod noob questions:
    1. Should I do it?
    2. How steep is the learning curve? Some of these guys on the water sure make it look effortless.
    3. Does experience with single-handed rods help in any way?
    4. How big of a money pit is it? (I know, raid the kids’ college fund). I’m the stereotypical gearhead when it comes to single-handed rods, but can you realistically get away with just 1 switch rod for a year or two?

I’ll visit the good folks at Kiene’s to get the basic technical info and gear recommendations. Lots of good info on this board as well. I’m sure there will be more noob questions if I decide to take the plunge.

Thanks for the info.

Default switch

Mar,
    You are in the perfect place for this move. Lots of water nearby and loads of
    opportunities for learning. Besides the organized sessions, you can probably
    sweet talk someone reasonably proficient into some stream time experiences.
    Many switch rods/reels will not break the bank and you can overhead cast them
    if necessary. Don't try to save money on a good line or two. Kiene's is the place
    to start.
    Best,
    Larry S

Don't waste your time or money. Get a 6119 TCX... Believe me it'll be worth it.

1. Take a lesson to get started the right way
    2. Get a Ross Reach 6113 from Kiene's, and a Rio Skagit Flight head (375)
    3. Fish

RE: (2) there is really no reason to buy a high dollar rod. I have a Sage TCX and the Ross is every bit as good, honestly.

I'd listen to Jed. He fishes a lot more than me and knows what he's talking about. I really don't have as much experience fishing as him or with switch rods. I'm gonna sell my TCX and get a Ross cause it's just as good. Gotta go now. I've got a date with Carmen Electra.

Mar, I love my 6119 TCX. I'll let you try mine if you want to test drive one. Take a lesson from one of our local two-handed gurus. You have enough casting experience to get it in one class. A 5 wt switch can be casted single handed with shooting heads very effectively. Let me know it you need help. Jeff

Default Get a good deal on a Sage ZA 7110 and buy it

Buy a new one from Kiene's as they close out the ZA two handed rods, or buy a good used one from someone trading up to a new Sage One or TCX.

Put a Rio Steelhead & Atlantic Salmon WF10F line on it and cast it overhanded with the leaders and flies you own.

Then, take some Skagit lessons from Jeff Putnam or other good guys and put a Rio Skagit or Skagit Flight on it. Then, buy a set of Rio T11 MOW tips, and you can handle any water and fish in our area.

You can shad fish with this rod, Steelie and Stripers from shore and a boat. It is a good surf rod.

After your short learning curve with this rod and catching fish, you can try more expensive and less expensive rods to see if they offer any advantage based on you experience with this rod.

I'm not knocking more or less expensive rods. I own a TCX Deathstar where I can't reach the fish with my ZA7111. I own a Meiser 5/6 and a 9/10 Switch Rod for lighter fish/waters with the 5/6 and big fish with the 9/10. The 9/10 isn't used here.

Quote Originally Posted by mar View Post
    My interest level has increased after seeing the two-handed guys in action this shad season. I can see the effectiveness and efficiency of the switch rod and am thinking about getting into it, primarily for shad fishing. Here’s a set of switch rod noob questions:
    1. Should I do it?
    2. How steep is the learning curve? Some of these guys on the water sure make it look effortless.
    3. Does experience with single-handed rods help in any way?
    4. How big of a money pit is it? (I know, raid the kids’ college fund). I’m the stereotypical gearhead when it comes to single-handed rods, but can you realistically get away with just 1 switch rod for a year or two?

I’ll visit the good folks at Kiene’s to get the basic technical info and gear recommendations. Lots of good info on this board as well. I’m sure there will be more noob questions if I decide to take the plunge.

Thanks for the info.

Get a copy of Skagit master I (II is pretty darn amazing as well worth getting cuz it will open your eyes to what these rods can be used for) watch and cast. I started in Oct 2011 and I am reasonablly proficient at casting a 450 g skagit with up to 12.5 feet of t-14 and a tube or intruder on the end. Albeit I am not as skilled at the perry poke I mainly use the snap t or whatever everyone is calling that cast these days.

As for a switch I too have been thinking about it, however I am very unclear about the difference between a spey and switch. I can say that my 6wt spey with 450g turns a shad fight into hauling in the dead weight. It was unbelievable on a 10 lbs steelie

I have been fishing the yuba swinging soft hackles and think that a 5 or 4 wt spey/switch vs my current 9 6 5wt one would be nice to cover more water.

Is the lighter switch (and single hand casting ability) better than a spey?

Are we not using spey rods because we do not want the over hand casting and saving the labour?

Aaron reviewed the switch in a post about the MFAR but really would it not be better to have a 5 or 4 wt spey with the backbone to toss larger sink tips because in every outing I have there are times when a heavier tip was needed for a run.

all that said what are peoples thoughts on the Beulah Classic Switch Rod 10'6" #4/5 4 piece
    Last edited by DAVID95670; 06-23-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    I'd listen to Jed. He fishes a lot more than me and knows what he's talking about. I really don't have as much experience fishing as him or with switch rods. I'm gonna sell my TCX and get a Ross cause it's just as good. Gotta go now. I've got a date with Carmen Electra.
    Probably, along with Keith Kaneko or Jason Hartwick, who would both say the same thing.

Oh, and I own a TCX 5119.

I SAY TAKE THAT SAGE ONE OUT FOR A TEST DRIVE TODAY..... THAT REVIEW THIS WEEK BY DENEKI OUTFITTERS SAID IT WAS THE BOMB THAT IS IF YOU ARE IN THE $855 PRICE RANGE FOR A TCX THEN GET A $980 ONE

http://www.deneki.com/2012/06/sage-o...review-8136-4/

I CAN NOT FEED THIS ADDICTION IN SUCH A MANNER RIGHT NOW BUT I HAVE TO SAY I LOVE MY SINGLE HAND ONE