Thread: Bloody Maria Question

Question Bloody Maria Questions

Jeff I go out two times a week and see you out there every time! I got one word for ya - Animal.

Anyway, fished with my friend the other night. He killed them on your Bloody Maria. Going to tie some up myself. He made me a true believer (guess sometimes you have to see it in person).

So I see you use lime green wire for ribbing. I got Ultra Wire in METALLIC CHARTREUSE (looks lime green to me). For the size should I use FINE, BRASSIE, or MEDIUM?

Do you use a clear coat over the body of the fly. If so, what kind?

Interesting you started to play with UV. I have been testing UV with many different species. I'm not sure if Shad can see UV (as some fish don't or it don't matter anyway). I ran a handful of tests and did not see a difference. Looks like you used to fish UV on the Maria too, but moved away from it also. I am not going to make the extra effort to apply it either...

P.S. Leave some shad for us!
    Last edited by LE0; 06-21-2012 at 12:50 AM.
    Tight Lines

Bill posted the current recipe on May 12th http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27132. I coat the body with Hard as Nails.

Oh, I thought the below fly version was an older version. So you are a believer they see UV then! Hmm, if you are I'm going to guess it it true. You are out there everyday and would know...

I see it says: "Rib: Chartreuse BR wire" Sorry, I don't know what BR wire stands for. Is that the size? I have Ultra Wire in Fine, Brassie, and Medium. Do you know what size I should use?

I see it says: "Red Danville Flymaster+" I know it comes in 210 or 140. What size do you use?

I use Hard as Nails for a sealer on many of my flies/lures as well! Great, I got that!

Bloody Maria

Hook: Targus or TMC 2457 Size 10

Bead: 3.2 mm gold bead

Tail: 16 strands of pearl UV krystal flash (one whole strand folded over/cut 4 times)
    Small turf of pearl UV ice dubbing
    2 strands of small pearl flashabou
    Final length about 1/2”

Body: Red Danville Flymaster+ (keep body thin)

Rib: Chartreuse BR wire

Head: White Danville Flymaster+ (tie partially up on the bead)
    Tight Lines

BR wire is brassie and I use 210 thread.

Thanks will tie some up!
    Tight Lines