Thread: Early Klamath Steelhead?

Default Early Klamath Steelhead?

Just came across this:
    "Steelies are already showing on the lower Klamath (about three weeks early) and is a great indication of a solid steelie run."
    http://www.usafishing.com/klamath.html

True?

Also, Kutzkey says he caught 91 trout on the Klamath last Friday (apparently on salmonflies):
    http://www.kutzkeyfishing.com/kutzkey_003.htm

"4th of July" is a traditional date to expect some summer Steelhead to come into the lower reaches of many large, long western Steelhead rivers.

I bet they are pretty.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The Klamath below Iron Gate has been incredible this year for trout and the occasional springer on Salmon flies. Even though 91 sounds crazy, if the conditions were perfect and he had experienced fisherman it is probably true. I haven't been up there in a couple of weeks, but then we were averaging around 25 fish landed per rod per day. This was being done with very new fly fisherman to boot. Now I really doubt all of the fish were on dries (in fact probably the majority were on nymphs) and probably most of the fish ran between 8 - 13 inches long. However for beginners you really can't find a much better place to start out than the Klamath during the Salmon fly hatch.

Bruce and I took a run from Klamath Glen to Pecwan in my jet boat last Saturday - rained pretty much the entire time and flows were right aroound 9000 cfs - no grabs except for par and smolts - a number of boats on the river fishing for springers but not much in the way of action - it was good to get out though - tried to dial in a line for our 2/3 wt 12 AR rods we just had built - it will really be sweet on half pounders!!!

Default kutzkey

Also, Kutzkey says he caught 91 trout on the Klamath last Friday (apparently on salmonflies):

If you read his report he says the fish were mostly 6-10 inches. AKA smolts. A few fish over 15 inches. That means actual fish count 2-3 fish not 91.

You can experience the same results without a guide at the first riffle above the boat launch at Klamath Glen from shore. Just swing a size 12 soft hackle. Mix it up with Floater muddler minnow from the Trinity fly shop to catch them on top water.

Fish trickle in all summer, a lot are headed for the Trinity and will hold in the canyon until things cool off in the fall. You can certainly fish for and catch them in the Klamath in the summer but beware of warm water temps as it can certainly exceed 70 above blue creek. At that point I'd fish for and bonk a few salmon.

Another report on trout -- 10-15 inches (or are they smolt?):

"Trout fishing has been quite good in the upper reaches of the Klamath River below Iron Gate Dam, according to Scott Caldwell of SC Guide Service.

"He said his clients have been getting 15 to 20 rainbows on trips from the hatchery to the Klamath Bridge. While most are between 10 and 15 inches, some go to 20 inches, and Caldwell marvels at how fat they are."

When I was a kid we always started fishing the Klamath by the 101 bridge on the 4th of July, and we always got into fish at that time. Those early fish tend to be bigger than the August fish.....No half-pounders, but fish from 3 to 6 pounds.

You have to fish early and late in the day and in the shade jn the warmer weather.

You can fish where tributaries come into the Klamath and cool it down some.

They lay in the deeper, faster runs with the salmon when the water is warm.

Tail outs at the end of big open shallow pools can be too warm.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........