Thread: Hat creek

Default Hat creek

I have not been on any water for 4 months, except the Rouge of course...work, family and two close freinds funnerals and I'm dying here, got to fishing.
    I haven't fiahed the Hat Creek, Fall River area for 7 or 8 years, to busy traveling to fish (dumb) so I want to go fish this area...need recommendations on motels , cabins not 5 star...old, rustick, holes in the walls no matter.Any suggestion and possible phone numbers appreciated.
    thanks to all in advance
    Monty
    I fish via the Criminal Justice system,"Catch and Release"

Mike O Guest

We have stayed here for years in Old Station.

http://hatcreekresortrv.com/

The cabins are nice, and if you have kids, they stock the river within the community. 20-30 mins to the Powerhouse riffle...

Closer is http://rancheriarv.com they have yurts and small prefab cabins. Only about 15 mins to the riffle.

Mike

McArthur Burney State Park is 15 minutes from the Hat Creek riffle one way and 15 minutes from Pit #3 the other. Its also right on Burney Creek which is fun to fish too.

The cabins there are primitive but very clean and warm, so you'll need camping gear too. Stayed there last week and it was great.

if you want a hotel vs a cabin i would check in burney. several choices there.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty Montana View Post
    I have not been on any water for 4 months, except the Rouge of course...work, family and two close freinds funnerals and I'm dying here, got to fishing.
    I haven't fiahed the Hat Creek, Fall River area for 7 or 8 years, to busy traveling to fish (dumb) so I want to go fish this area...need recommendations on motels , cabins not 5 star...old, rustick, holes in the walls no matter.Any suggestion and possible phone numbers appreciated.
    thanks to all in advance
    Monty
    These three have housed ( I won’t say lodged ) fly fishers visiting the Burney / Hat Creek / Baum Lake / Burney Creek / Burney Falls / Fall River / Pit River areas for decades.

http://www.shastapinesmotel.com/spmo...me_Burney.html

http://www.charmmotel.com/

http://www.greengablesmotel.com/
    Last edited by Dave E.; 06-26-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Default Sleepy Hollow

Being on a tight budget these last few years I have searched around for the best deals when I needed (i.e.; snowed out!) a motel in that area. In years past I've stayed at the Green Gables, Burney Motel and the others but this last trip, early June, I found the Sleepy Hollow. Just on the West end of Burney. Cheaper by $20/25 than the others and just as comfortable. AND CLEAN!!! No pool or kitchenette but a microwave and rather good room coffee (I carry my own espresso maker when I camp...)
    Otherwise there are good places to camp as mentioned above.
    There is also a place now on The Fall that rents boats for about $100. Nice folks and you don't need to carry the boat all that way. I used them a few years back, when they were still offering 1/2 day rentals. I believe you can also "camp" there for a fee and they have all the hookups if needed. Or if you bring a boat that can't be launched at Cal-Trout (trailered) you can launch there for a few bucks.
    Had a great afternoon on Hat in early June (flats) and the best day ever on The Fall...up river a ways.

I stayed at the Charm Motel for a few nights last year while fishing that area and it was just fine. Clean, quiet, and dated...and inexpensive...perfect for a fishing crash pad.
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

Dave E listed the Shasta Pines Motel.....been staying there several times a year for the last 4 years. Clean with comfy beds. Friendly owners.

Having a hard time finding decent food in Burney though. The local pizza joint must know when yer an "out of towner" cuz the last pizza was WELL over $30 bucks. Gouging!

So last time my buddy and I figured we'd go McDonalds....nope, it was terrible.

How do you screw up McDonalds???? lol. Maybe the local Quik Stop is better

EO

Quote Originally Posted by BobVP View Post
    Being on a tight budget these last few years I have searched around for the best deals when I needed (i.e.; snowed out!) a motel in that area. In years past I've stayed at the Green Gables, Burney Motel and the others but this last trip, early June, I found the Sleepy Hollow. Just on the West end of Burney. Cheaper by $20/25 than the others and just as comfortable. AND CLEAN!!! No pool or kitchenette but a microwave and rather good room coffee (I carry my own espresso maker when I camp...)
    Otherwise there are good places to camp as mentioned above.
    There is also a place now on The Fall that rents boats for about $100. Nice folks and you don't need to carry the boat all that way. I used them a few years back, when they were still offering 1/2 day rentals. I believe you can also "camp" there for a fee and they have all the hookups if needed. Or if you bring a boat that can't be launched at Cal-Trout (trailered) you can launch there for a few bucks.
    Had a great afternoon on Hat in early June (flats) and the best day ever on The Fall...up river a ways.
    Where is the place that rents boats or lets you launch... what is it called?

Default Fall boat rental