Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plants on E. & W. Carson

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by El Rey View Post
    From this morning's Sac Bee:

Alpine County planted 1800 pounds of 12- to 20-inch rainbows this past week. Alpine County will be making similar plants this week and next week to load the river with fish for a total of 5400 pounds over three weeks. The water flows were down to 220 cfs-perfect for all types of fishing. Everyone was catching limits this past week, even 4-year olds!! 12-year old Jessica Williams of Sacramento caught her own limit of rainbows on the West Carson on Gulp! salmon eggs.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/06/21/457...#storylink=cpy
    Thanks for the heads up....I will plan a trip up in the next few weeks!
    Tight Lines

Fished the West Carson this morning, used a 2 wt. with good success as long as I remembered to not try and horse them in. It was 32 degrees in Hope Valley and 49 degrees down in the canyon at 6am. Water is in perfect condition, great day on the water.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRZvrQpWj0E

Alpine has stocked the river and the baites took the majority of the alpers. I did manage to find a couple a caught a nice 20"+ alper. But there are plenty of willing wilds if you know where to look. Put em back and treat em nice. And pick up your friggn garbage and bring it home!

Quote Originally Posted by gangster View Post
    Alpine has stocked the river and the baites took the majority of the alpers. I did manage to find a couple a caught a nice 20"+ alper. But there are plenty of willing wilds if you know where to look. Put em back and treat em nice. And pick up your friggn garbage and bring it home!
    I know what you mean about the garbage, almost have to take a garbage bag in to haul out all the crap people leave laying around.

Does anyone know if Alpine co clips the fin on the stockers? I hooked up on a few which are out of a stocked lake but their fins are not clipped. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by kabah088 View Post
    Does anyone know if Alpine co clips the fin on the stockers? I hooked up on a few which are out of a stocked lake but their fins are not clipped. What do you guys think?
    I highly doubt they clip fins..... I'm not sure there's any need to do so.... From the pictures of fish I've seen it's pretty obvious if a fish was recently planted.....

I always check the tails. Pen raised fish have slightly rounded tail from all the rubbing on cement and other fish. Wild fish have nice sharp corners to their tails.
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com