Thread: Loose Spindle on Ross CLA

Default Loose Spindle on Ross CLA

I have a loose spindle on my Ross CLA reel - at least I think that's what it's called. It's the metal pertrusion the spool slips over or on. Anyway, when it comes loose the drag becomes disengaged and starts to "free spool."

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody knows if it can be fixed without sending it back to Ross. I'm leaving for Montana on Thursday and don't really have time to send it back to Ross. I've hand tightened it and used a wrench (very gently), but it works it way loose.

Any help would be appreciated....thank you

put some blue locktite on the threads and tighten it like you have been doing.

Default Ross

Send it back to Ross and buy or borrow another reel. Doesn't sound like something I'd want to depend on for a Montana trip. What size is it?

If you find yourself near the south fork of the snake give me a shout and I will throw you a loaner reel for your trip.
    Capt. Darrin Deel
    www.acflyfishing.com

Thanks guys. I think it's a size 3 CLA. Holds a 6 wt line. I have a Lampson Guru loaded up with a 5wt. GPX line. Maybe I'll just use that for both my 5 wt. TFO BVK and my 6 wt. Scott S3. With the GPX coming in 1/2 weights, the 5 1/2 might cut it on the S3....although that stick is fast enough already, I usually like something a little heavier to slow that thing down.

Maybe Ill try some locktight.

Default Loctite....

Another vote for Loctite, Thread Locker. I've used it on the spool locking nut for my Abel for several years in salt water and haven't had a problem since. It comes in a couple of locking types, one of which is permanent. Be sure to avoid the permanent variety....

Good luck on the trip.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Mike O Guest

Be real careful that locktite won't void your warranty

Thread Locker is NOT what you want to use unless you do not want to take it off again. Aluminum is too soft we use it all the time and it will be one SOB to take it off afterwards.

Why not get a spare spool for Guru while you wait for repair?

Cool Thread Locker....

Don't want to start a controversy here but Loctite thread locker comes in variable holding strengths. I've used the "mid-strength, BLUE" variety (as Shaun recommended) for several years on my Abel which has an aluminum nut that holds the spool on the spindle without any problems of loosening during use. I remove this nut several times a year for cleaning and lubrication. Never any problem removing it with the Abel knurled wrench....

There is a permanent variety that will cause a problem if you intend to remove it later.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by DAVID95670 View Post
    Thread Locker is NOT what you want to use unless you do not want to take it off again. Aluminum is too soft we use it all the time and it will be one SOB to take it off afterwards.

Why not get a spare spool for Guru while you wait for repair?
    I had a similar problem with a reel as the OP I called Archuleta and he told me to use the blue Locktite. That was several years ago. Never had a problem since then. Also since loctite is like superglue acetone will take it off.