Thread: Planning to fish the Yuba tomorrow...

Mike O Guest

Default Planning to fish the Yuba tomorrow...

Wet wading in 100+ heat?? Yes, and please pass the SPF 2000.

We'll see how whe rolls.

Mike

Yeah I wet waded it last Thursday and it was still a little tough but considering the alternative of wearing waders in this heat was out of the question.

Mike O Guest

Fishing was fine...my catching sucked.

A few caddis about, but just before dark was a great mayfly hatch. Some kinda Pale mayfly, but the fish weren't having any of what we were throwing.

Oh well, it was a great cool off.

Mike

Default knee deep

i saw an Osprey 8 years ago nail a 20 inch fish in the knee deep water at the first bend above the bridge one late afternoon. since then i often never wade deeper than that. also try to lengthen your leaders out to about 20 feet.
    the fish aren't leader shy but if you float line them within 5 or 6 feet they'll get even more fussy.

Mike O Guest

Leader was not the problem...setting the hook was the problem.

Default North Fork of the Yuba River

...was in great shape over the weekend, clear and not high or low. Caddis and golden stonefly adults hatching. (And a big pod of newly released hatchery plants milling under the bridge in Downieville, at the mouth of the Downie River - not that I'd ever try for shellshocked refugees).

At Loganville FS Campground, a mile or so west of Sierra City, there's a short path from the top of the cg down to the river, one of the most beautiful little river gorges I've ever seen, with a rockrimmed low waterfall and wadeable run. I caught or missed rising rainbows from the shore - no need to wade in. (Now that I'm home, 882 miles away, I don't mind giving away its secrets.)

Mike O Guest

I've seen a lot of fish under that bridge too...I think the ones I saw were all squawminnows