Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Lake Tahoe

Default South Lake Tahoe

I'm going to be in South Lake Tahoe 8-10 June and will have some free time. It's been years since I fished that area. Can anyone pass along any places I can go? I won't have a boat or float tube. Not looking to steal a secret spot or anything, I would just like to know where I can get on the water for trout. Hikes are not a problem and seclusion would be nice. Cathcing fish is secondary. My travel rods are all in the 4-6wt range. Easy, right? PM me if you have info you are willing to share.
    Rich
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

Just saw the thread on this exact subject in the trout forum. Looks like the Carson is about the only game. Any tips for that area or any other spots would be appreciated.
    Rich
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

Wish I could help...have yet to fish in that area. If you have the time to head a little south, I have been hearing great reports coming out of the east walker. Good luck, Jason

You might try Spooner Lake. A canoe or tube is nice, but it is easily fishable from shore (this time of year before the weeds get thick). If you are camping consider spending a night there. Can you spell TIGER trout?

I agree with Ralph, Spooner for sure and if you have time Indian Creek Reservoir.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

It's a bit of a drive from SLT, but the headwaters of the Upper Truckee is a nice hike to fish small water for native Lahontans. I'm sure there are some threads on the BB.

If you want to do a pay to fish, Sawmill Lake near Truckee. It's not expensive and has been fishing killer recently. I think the owner/agent can provide you with a tube--you'll need one to make it worthwhile. Donaldson trout, can be technical, and if they're on a 15-20 fish day to 24" isn't uncommon.

I'd head up into the Desolation Wilderness if I had a few days free in South Lake next weekend. Starting at either the Eagle Falls, Meeks Creek, Glen Alpine, or Wrights Lake trailhead will get you into good fishing without too many miles. Let me know what you're more interested (i.e. bigger fish but slower action, or smaller fish but faster action) and I can throw up some lakes to target.
    Some Sierra backcountry fishing trips: http://wanderswithtrout.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    It's a bit of a drive from SLT, but the headwaters of the Upper Truckee is a nice hike to fish small water for native Lahontans. I'm sure there are some threads on the BB.
    The Upper Truckee doesn't open until July 1st. My buddy found that out the hard way
    by mr DFG a few years ago.

EO

Give Victor or one of the crew a call at Tahoe Flyfishing Outfitters. They're in South Lake and will give you some good info on which local spots are fishing well.

http://www.tahoeflyfishing.com/index.php