Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pit River Camping

Last edited by lynnwhite44; 06-19-2012 at 02:44 PM.

I still have yet to fish the Pit.

As for what the heck was that print in that picture. Mrs. Bigfoot would be my guess. To small to be Mr. Bigfoot.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

FWIW, there's also a BLM campground near Pit #1 powerhouse. A few camping sites, picnic tables next to a swimming slough of the Pit, and a camp manager who looks like George Carlin. $8, $4 with Golden Age pass. It's just three miles east of Hat Creek #2 turnoff from Route 299.

Mike O Guest

Yogi was looking for pickanick baskets.

Bood idear on the shin guards...i think my kid has a pair around here somewheres

I looked for the xterra on Saturday but didn't see you. I was parked at Rock Creek (Pit 3) all day. With 20 fish a day you were doing much better than me. I had 20 hookups but only got 6 in the net. Those fish are incredibly strong and know how to break you off. I found it really hard to get downstream of my fish...its hard enough getting around that river without a fish on!...and the big ones knew to run into fast water and that was that.

I didn't have any problems with crowding. Didn't see another soul all day. There were some cars in the pullouts as I was driving back up to the dam, but down where I fished it was just me and the ospreys.

Can't wait to get back out there...this time with a big supply of 3x and 4x.

I like June and Sept/Oct on the Pit River.

It has been a top river for decades. Hope they don't screw it up.

The trout in the fall are in the highly oxegenated water.......not back in the slower drifts with the sqawfish and suckers.

If the big Isonychi mayflys come off it is uslly around the second week in September.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hey Bob, I saw your vehicle at Rock Creek as I drove by a couple times on Saturday.

I Lost a lot of fish also. I had better luck after I remembered a technique that I have used there in the past. I try to guide the fish out of the fast water and into the soft pockets, when I get the head up I skate the fish up to me. Granted some of the bigger fish are harder to skate. I had to work down river on some of the bigger fish. I had a couple fish swim complete circles around me. they are some tough hard fighting footballs.

I know you were there with your family so you couldn't put in the hours that I did. I was up a 6:00 am and fishing by 7:30. I would fish till 7 or 8 depending on when I took my involuntary swim.

Mike O, so that was a bear track huh. Glad I didn't meet yogi on the trail.

Poison oak is everywhere on the Pit along with Blackberries. Luckily it has no affect on my skin. However, my wife is highly allergic to it. Usually I bag all my clothes and do my own laundry. She got poison oak on monday, whoops sorry wifey.

I took a couple of dips myself, both times as I was just about to get out of the water and let my guard down. I like your shin guard idea, but I think a butt pad would be useful too. I slipped and landed hard on my ass a few times and felt it the next morning.

There's something nice about laying down in a cool stream and feeling the water run down your back and inside your waders after you've been standing in the sun for a couple of hours. I was in no hurry to get myself upright the first time I went down.

I bought some shin guards (use primarily for mountain biking) but they kind of tear up the skin.

I found a much more comfortable alternative. I bought sliding pads. The ones baseball and softball players use. They are pretty comfy and fit fine underneath waders, or just slide over the top of the knees. They won't cover your entire shin, but work well enough to protect the ol' kneecaps.

I have several Pit scars on the shins. Should have got these years ago. Would have saved
    me some skin.

EO

Default Shin Guards/Pads

When I was on the Tac Squad in the 70's, we used soccer style shin pads (between pairs of socks) under our coveralls (and later BDUs)...I've used those under my waders for 30+ years when fishing the Pit, U Sac, & McCloud...light and affordable.

Knee pads (over the waders) help too!

Paul
    Last edited by pgw; 06-24-2012 at 08:12 AM. Reason: add