Thread: First 10 shad ever--must be the fly

Talking First 10 shad ever--must be the fly

I've lived in the Sac Area for almost seven years now, but have never caught a shad. I tried for them 2 or three evenings 2 years ago but only had one LDR to show for my efforts. This year I got tired of listening to my friends talk about all the shad they were catching and decided to break down and put a little effort into it.

Following the information from my favorite message board, I stopped by the shop Saturday and picked up a couple of Bloody Marias. By coincidence, I happened to meet Jeff Ching while I was there.

Tonight I finally made my way down to the river at a spot suggested by a friend who lives nearby. Hit the water around 7:45 below two fly guys who had already landed a couple. Started off with an orange fly while I made sure my type 6 head wasn't too heavy. (I only had a couple of Bloody Marias, so I didn't want to lose one on the bottom.) Fifteen minutes with the orange fly, nothing. Switched to the Bloody Maria and hooked up on the first cast.

I farmed that fish after a couple of jumps, but hooked another two casts later. The action was steady until I quit around 9:20, with several stretches of hook ups on multiple casts in a row. I ended the evening with about 10 to hand, about 10 more LDR's--several of which got off while airborne or after one or more jumps--and many more missed strikes. Lots of caddis around and many fish were up on top after sunset. I picked up one fish near the surface by casting quartering downstream for a short, shallow drift. Might need to take a second rod with a floater next time.

I was using my main trout rod: an 8.5 foot 5-wt TFO Pro Series because that's what I have a multi-tip line for. Biggest fish was about 20 inches and most were around 15 or so. The little guy was 12. Great fun putting the (lightish) stick to these hard fighting fish--like playing schoolie stripers with a 7-wt but with the current as an added element.

I think I have another habit to feed....

Mike
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Welcome to the club Mike! There a meeting every evening on the river during the shad run. Shadaholics Anonymous!

No jackets yet, but maybe next year.

Gotta love the stink of the shad!
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Default AR Shad

Skunked, not even a nibble, last night on the lower river - Gristmill to Watt. Fished the last two hour of light. River is low - clay banks sticking out of the water. Saw a lot of stripers in the last 1/2 hour of light...big glurps and tails. Gotta get me some bloody maria.

Randy, two words for you, Upper Sunrise. Look for all the people and join in the line. Trust me.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Randy, that you we saw launching the drift boat? I had the pram.

Yep, how'd you guys do? You guys were still out when we shuttled back up to Gristmill.

Btw, what size Bloody Maria do you guys fish?
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Whatever they had at the shop. I would guess they are about a size 12, give or take, and tied on a scud hook.

I got nine tonight, only LDR'd one and missed about six or eight. My friend landed a similar number but missed a few more strikes. Big crowd where we were but I think most caught fewer than we did. Jeff caught at least half on a chartreuse bodied fly with a red head and the rest on something he tied that is could be described as a size 8 Bloody Maria variation tied on a long shank hook with small bead chain eyes instead of a bead and with a bigger tail.

With the bump in flows, there were a lot fewer fish on top tonight.

Mike
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Bloody Marias are tied on Sz 10 TMC 2457 hook. I had used sz 8 and sz 12 hooks but the sz 10 is the most productive.