Thread: East cape-making the best better

Default East cape-making the best better

Making the best better
    Lots to talk about this week and too many great photos to choose from.

The end of last week Yellowfin tuna made their first showing. It looked like the East Cape was off to the races when a few different schools of dolphin were located all holding tuna. Then it happened. The water in the Sea of Cortez turned over to an ugly green color. With that, for now, the tuna have vanished.

The striped marlin bite has been very consistent and the off colored water hasn't seemed to deter them. The water appears to be clearing up now but was so off-color for a couple of days it made me wonder how the fish ever found our baits.

Getting the marlin to go has been ever changing. One day they will bite the jigs but have nothing to do with them the next. Large 5.5 sized lures have been best. The problem is the weight of the big lures helps the marlin throw them when shaking their head. It has also been an ever changing pattern with fresh baits. One day they are all over live bait and the next prefer ballyhoo. It has kept it interesting and also kept us on our toes.

Speaking of bait, the situation has been pretty grim. Sardines have completely vanished making in shore a tough proposition. We were able to make spanish mackerel and sardineta for several days but the porpoise found them and that was the end of that. Now live horalitos and frozen ballyhoo is the only option.

This week Accurate Jack Nilsen with his merry team showed up to field test some new Accurate prototypes. He had one of their new "Three Dawg" models and also some other secret stuff. The reels looked the same as older models but I was assured they had some new trick stuff on the inside.

Accurate reminds me of Apple computers. They already have the best product available but are always ahead of the curve looking for new ways to make it even better.

Jack is one of the luckiest fishermen I have ever encountered. The fish bite every time he visits. In four days we hooked 18 stripers and had many more opportunities. He invited different guests each day to fish with us and every one came away having released at least one marlin. It was a pleasure to have Rancho Leonero owner John Ireland out with us one day as well.

Call him lucky! The guy looks like the cat that just ate the canary

John Ireland ready to go fishing

Team Accurate with Jack and utility man Wayne

Kelly battles the first marlin of their trip. Accurate reels make it so easy.

Getting it all on camera

Secret stuff! There is a marlin on the other end of that line ripping it off the reel.

Nothing gets by Wayniac.

Here fishy fishy, take that bait.

Hooked under the jaw

Throwing the hook. Look close, the hook is in the white water in front of the fish.

Ever wonder why many of the marlin in photos have a torn dorsal fin?

We have grown to love those circle hooks

For frequent East Cape updates "like" JEN WREN Sportfishing | Facebook

Mark Rayor
    teamjenwren.com
    markrayor.blogspot.com
    JEN WREN Sportfishing | Facebook
    US cell 310 308 5841

What are you doing with all your video and stills content?
    The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.

Team Stinky Duck

Not sure I understand your question? After this particular post Jack did put together is video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrTs2...em-uploademail He is also doing a half hour one.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggH View Post
    What are you doing with all your video and stills content?