Thread: Pit River

Default Pit River

Headed up north today to fish the Pit tomorrow. I haven't seen many reports lately. Anybody have any recent info? PM me if ya want or post to site. Thanks!!!

Good luck, wish I was heading up that way. What part of the pit are ya gonna fish? Jason

Gonna start the day around Powerhouse 3 and work my way downstream during the day.

I think most streams should be fishing well now.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default should be good

My wife and I were just there, had a blast but the fishing is TOUGH there. I don't mean lack of action, just tough (especially the wading/falling). Bring lots of salmon flies (dries) if you'll be there late in the afternoon evening. A total mix of bugs hatching up there right now, so a fair variety of choices on what to fish although at times they seemed really keyed in on one thing or another for a little while.

We fished about 50% on Pit 3 and about 50% on Pit 4, had similar success and similar fumble and folly on both.
    Good luck and be careful there,
    JB

Agreed Jason...the wading it not for the faint of heart.

I have accumulated several Pit scars over the years.

EO

The lack of reports has nothing to do with the catching, and everything to do with the 400 cfs flows, which many people think is too high (not me) so most don't fish there much other than chucking salmonfly dries (orange stims, sofa pillows, etc.) into Pitt 3. There is a whole lot more productive water with just about nobody fishing it if you're willing to wet-wade and swim a bit.

The salmon fly dries can work during the day, in my experience.
    Last edited by amoeba; 06-03-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Default about those flows...

Regarding flows; this recent trip was my first trip to that river so I have no comparison. I would say that it would certainly be much easier for us anglers with a bit less flow, on the other hand I actually found that part of the pleasure of fishing on the Pit was the fact that the fish definately have the edge in part due to the limited access. We found that it was really not any easier fishing Pit 3 at ~330cfs than it was fishing Pit 4 at ~420cfs; both were tough! The big thing on Pit 3 is that the road is much closer for a lot of it, offering less hiking/bushwhacking to access the water.

While less water would make for a lot more access to a wider variety of water, I found the flows to be pretty enjoyable for fishing (just tough). Also we had no trouble *hooking* fish... the tough part is *landing* fish there; much more so for my wife and I than any other river we've ever fished. A great river for those seeking a bit more adventure, and not so concerned with numbers...
    JB

Report from Saturday. First time to the Pit. Started at Pit 3 Powerhouse and fished my way way to Big Bend. 8 fish at Pit 3 to 18". High stick nymphing in 3feet of water! Not as slippery as everybody says. Just use a staff, go slow and don't step on top of the rocks. Fishing got slower as I went downstream. Lots of different bugs hatching all morning. Only saw two other fisherman. I will definitely be back now that I know where to go.