Thread: Fall River - Very Low?

Default Fall River - Very Low?

Has anyone heard how the Fall River is fishing? I was told that the river level is very low and fishing is difficult. The snow pack is down to about 50% this year. Also, I heard they are "removing the boards" at the lake where the rivers runs to. So getting above the Spinner Fall Lodge may be challenging? I would appreciate if someone has an update. Thanks!

Your info is correct. Some weeds starting to show, however, the fishing is slow. Mid to late June should fish better.

The water is low in the whole system. Not sure if PGE is removing boards or not. Regardless, the water is unusually low and getting above Spinner Fall is not impossible, but probably not worth the hassle.

I was up there a couple of weeks ago and the fishing was dismal. I also talked to one of the guides who told me that the water was low this time last year, a year in which we had normal or above-normal rainfall. There is some conjecture that the spring-fed watersheds in that region are losing water from the seismic activity that occured last October, though there is some serious debate on that issue. The groundwater table in that region is changing - that's for sure. Wells are drying up, and folks are having to drill deeper to get water. The Redding Record Searchlight has run a couple of articles on the issue. As for Fall River, the low water is probably agriculture-related.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

Default Boards?

Thanks everyone...good info. When they say they are taking the boards out...what does that mean?
    ~magic

Lowering the water level at the dam.

Default Low and off color?

I fished the Fall last Tuesday (5th) and it was low but what surprised me more was the color of the river. I wasn't the usual crystal clear I am used to. Also the lack of weeds for the first mile or two above the Cal Trout put in.

That said: Paddling above the third bridge was well worth it! Maybe my best day ever on the Fall! Hatches keep coming...mostly in time with every little rain squall. Fish were cooperative. Biggest was not huge, 14", but all were feisty. No fun paddling back against the wind though! First time it was more difficult to paddle down that river, but still worth it.