Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Places to camp on the coast

Default Mendocino

What Dabalone said: Don't know if the Skunk train is still running or not and I don't think it is dog friendly. Check out Glass Beach, it used to be the city dump many years ago, it is right down the street from Denny's at the south end of Ft. Bragg. You could make a day trip to the Avenue of the Giants (Redwoods) from Ft. Bragg.
    The Skunk runs still! Worth the money to do once...not sure about dogs but I could watch your dog for the day if I am back from my trip....he/she can play with my dogs.
    Glass beach is fun, but we are now asking folks: Please don't take the glass away. It is not yet denuded but it will be someday simply by the tides. Still a great place to visit and easy if you have bikes from Mackerricher.
    No need to traipse to the Avenue of the Giants (though that is spectacular!) since we have the tallest redwoods right here, just about 40 minutes east of Mendocino...in a very small grove. But there is about a 1/2 mile walk to see them.
    Then there is of course the Botanical Gardens, Pt. Cabrillo Light, etc. I live in (almost) paradise....No wild trout!

Mike O Guest

Cayucos has good tacos, but for a fish dinner nothing beats Tognazzini's Dockside in Morro Bay. Owner is a fishing captain, who buys fresh daily from other captains in MB. Make sure to get the lime tequila splash for your fish

Oh yea, Albacore skewers!!! Great food, generous portions and reasonable prices.
    Last edited by BillB; 05-29-2012 at 05:38 PM.

BobVP, what happened to the indoor pool thing in Ft. Bragg, did that close?

Default Aquatic Center in Fort Bragg

We voted in a sales tax in the rec district and the City will take over management and ownership as soon as July.
    Long story on this one....

Try the Sonoma County parks: Stillwater Cove & Gulala (sp). They're both nice and quite close to the coast.

Mike O Guest

Wherever you go on the coast, north of SF, flyfishing takes a back seat to abalone. Mmmmmmm....abalone.....

Smile Thanks for all the suggestions!

Thanks very much to all of you. We're having fun investigating many of them by internet.

Since this is going to be a relatively short trip, drive time is a consideration that weighs in favor of the areas around Tomales Bay and Point Reyes rather than the five or so hour trek to Mendocino or Fort Bragg. (We've done Avenue of the Giants while camping at Grizzly Creek State Park on the Van Duzen--which I highly recommend if it is saved from the budget ax, by the way--and we have driven the coast from just above fort Bragg down to the Navarro River (and definitely need to go back there for a longer visit; had never heard about Glass Beach or the many other spots mentioned, and didn't realize the Skunk Train was so special. Have also driven Highway 1 from Ventura to Santa Cruz several times over the years and camped at Big Sur and stayed in the SLO area. Two oldest kids will be camping at Morro Bay in July. Will bookmark the info on that stretch.)

Casini Ranch looks interesting too. Now back to the web for info on the latest suggestions.

Mike
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.