Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Places to camp on the coast

Default Places to camp on the coast

The family is looking to take our first camping trip in a couple of years. For a change we're talking about trying the coast instead of the Sierras.

Since we've only got a two or three night window in everyone's schedule, can anyone suggest someplace that is not a huge drive from Sacramento and meets the following objectives:

Near the coast, but not necessarily right on the beach. (Beach would be OK.)

Attractive / entertaining for my non-flyfishing wife and three teenage girls (who are variously interested in scenery [e.g., redwoods, beach, tide pools, hiking trails, things to draw, etc.].

Are dog friendly.

Won't kill my wife who is recovering from a sprained knee.

Have the bonus of providing some fishing opportunity. (Not essential since this is a family trip and I can live without wetting a line for three days. But if I can try for my first surf perch, Striper in the surf, or even find a panfish pond, even better.)

All suggestions appreciated.

Mike
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Default Coast Camping

Mike,

Being of Flemish heritage I love your tag: Life is too short to drink bad beer.

We've got several fine places to stay here, on the Mendocino coast. There are campgrounds that meet your needs from Manchester to Westport, both private and State.

The favorite of many is just three miles north of Fort Bragg: MacKerricher. The bonus with there is there is a small lake that holds some planted fish. Within just a few miles is Russian Gulch and Van Damme State Parks. They both have camping away from the beach but easy access. (Ever thought about throwing flies to rockfish?)

The private places I have heard good things about are the KOA just north of Manchester and the Westport Union Landing (I think it is also a KOA). The one in Westport is open to the ocean in a wide gulley so it can get breezy.

If you want any more specific information just send me an email and I'll see what I can find out.

i used to camp and fish at bodega bay when i was a kid. its been a long time since ive been there but remember it being a nice place. didnt fly fish back then but caught lots of fish and crab off the jetti. another place would be point reyes. never been there myself but read about people fly fishing the surf there. casper beach up by fort bragg is a nice place also.
    Last edited by joshfish; 05-28-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Hi Mike,

My votes also go to the areas mentioned above, both Ft. Bragg and Bodega Bay. A nice campground in the redwoods down by Point Reyes in Samuel P Taylor state park. Tomales Bay is also within a short drive of there. A place called Heart's Desire Beach is on Tomales Bay with a nice area for the girls to swim and has hiking trails. Samuel Taylor State Park was on the list of Parks to close, so I'd suggest checking it's status first.

Bodega Dunes Park is a good place for camping near Bodega Bay and is more sheltered from the wind than other campgrounds in the area (Wright's Beach and Doran County park). Also has wife pleasing showers, a feature missing at some Parks.

Craig

Mike O Guest

Van Damme.

Beach across the road, Mendocino a few miles up (for the wife and Daughters), not much for fishing...

Been a while since I've been in that area, but we used to stay at Van Damme. Very nice. If you were interested in coming south there are many places on the central coast with much to see and do. Anything from Hurst Castle, elephant seals, site seeing and even a little shopping in interesting places like Harmony and Cambria. Great area from San Simeon to San Luis Obispo. Many nice public and private campgrounds. Oh, almost forgot, the absolute best fish, shrimp (etc.), tacos anywhere at Ruddell's Smoke House in Cayucos!
    Last edited by BillB; 05-28-2012 at 07:38 PM.

VanDamm is really nice campgrounds with hot showers. Closer to Bodega Bay I like Fort Ross Lodge for something more comfortable.

x2 on Mackerricher. There is the old haul road that goes right though the campground that you can walk or ride bicycles for a few miles on. The Botanical Garden in Ft. Bragg is very nice and is dog friendly. Don't know if the Skunk train is still running or not and I don't think it is dog friendly. Check out Glass Beach, it used to be the city dump many years ago, it is right down the street from Denny's at the south end of Ft. Bragg. You could make a day trip to the Avenue of the Giants (Redwoods) from Ft. Bragg.
    There is a state park on the same road that the Manchester KOA is on, from the state park it is a short walk to the beach although it does go over a dune which can be a hard walk for your wife in her condition. This beach is one of the most pristine beaches that is about 6 miles long, it is pristine because not many people go there. during the week you may not see anyone else on that beach.
    There are lightkeepers houses that you can rent at Pt. Arena lighthouse, these are three bedroom and two baths. you fall asleep with the sound of surf crashing behind and in front of the house, very cool!
    New Brighton and Sunset state parks near Aptos and Santa Cruz are decent although in the summer you may have a hard time getting a spot.
    There are some spots where elephant seals will haul out but I think they may have left by now. These are very large and impressive! Ano Nuevo is one area.
    There is a really cool lighthouse just north of Mendocino (Point Cabrillo), and there are lightkeeper homes you can rent there also. Mencocino is really cool to walk around and explore.
    A note on ticks: I try to keep my dog out of all brush in the coastal areas and I use Frontline on him, also after every walk inspect him for ticks. also check yourself and each other and stay away from brushy areas if you can help it.
    Last edited by atavuss; 05-28-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Default camping

Mendocino coast is it.

However the tacos BillB mentioned are something worth the drive. Add to the bucket list they are that good.
    Exit 7

Default coast camping

Mendocino is beautiful and has a lot to offer. But if you want to stay a little closer, we really enjoy Casini Ranch campground on the Russian River. Nice family and dog friendly place. Here's a link http://www.casiniranch.com/