Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MFFR - Prime Time Is Now!

Default MFFR - Prime Time Is Now!

After a good soaking of rain, thunder and lighting on Friday I flew up the hill early Saturday morning to meet Dan for a glorious day on the Middle Fork Feather. The rains brought the river up about 6 inches from the previous day and the water temps started out at a cold 48.6 degrees. We fished the water around the town of Graeagle and after hitting 3 runs with not a bump I recommended we go to another spot, adding the time traveling will be to our benefit to let things warm up and get going. When we arrived at our our new spot the water temps had already climbed to 51 degrees. I also noticed there was not a fresh foot print to be seen at our new location - "This is a good sign" I said to myself.

Right away Dan was into his first of at least 30 hook ups today, to be honest we lost count - It was that good! Yellow Warblers, Western Tanagers, and many other song birds gave us an orchestra of delightful melodies the entire time on the water, it was the perfect setting for an angler's first time on the MFFR. Dan possessed some serious fly fishing skills which enabled us to really decipher the runs and riffles, breaking it all down and presenting our flies to the correct water. We high sticked nymphs under an indicator with a little lead. Effective flies were PT flashbacks with a clear bead #16, Z Wing caddis emergers #12 in olive, and the San Jaun worm in earth color.

There were so many different bugs out like this March Brown above, PMDs, Green Drakes, BWOs, Little Green Stones, Caddis, and Midges were seen hatching throughout the day. To my delight Ameletus (the brown dun) mayfly nymphs were actively swimming about in the side water, for a bug connoisseur like myself it was the icing on the cake! A few risers were present, but those rainbows really wanted it underneath today.

This is your average sized wild rainbow of the MFFR, fish today ranged from 10-14 inches and full of fight. We had multiple aerial displays right in front us with many fish leaping out of the water more than once.

The fish are stacked up in pods at the tail outs of runs like this one above that had sufficient holding water with depth associated with it. We found different runs produced better than others, often times giving up 3-5 fish in a very small piece of water that would measure 10 x 10 feet.

Today was one of those days where your client can do no wrong, a day I will remember for a long, long time!
    Last edited by Troutstalker55B; 05-28-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Awesome report and pictures.
    Really makes me want to get out there.
    Thanks for sharing.

Default NF Yuba Bug Clinic...Don King Indicator?...

Jon---

Being the bug expert that you are, why not let the board known about your clinic on the North Fork of the Yuba that you will be having next month. I know you're low-keyed, but I noticed there are unsolicited clinic promotions on the North Fork of the Yuba...so why not blow your own horn. You know that water as well as anyone I know.

Frank R. Pisciotta

PS: Is that a Don King indicator that I see in your second image?

Frank,

When it comes to bugs, the more I educate myself, the more complex it can be. Living with a biologist does not make it easy either. I talk in layman/fly fisher lingo and she talks the straight science (and yes, she blinded me with science!). But this is why we both want to promote our bug classes that can be found under the entomology heading of this board and on my website - We want people to be able to understand the bug world in a easy and fun way. Those indicators are made by the Thill company, bought them from Cabelas. I don't use the pin or the toothpick, but a sliver of surgical tubing - I'll have to show you sometime.

BTW folks - I'm now permitted to operate in the Tahoe national forest which includes part of the North Fork Yuba river under Thy Rod & Staff's USFS special use permit. Toot Toot!!!

Jon.

Nice report and great pics Jon, keep em coming.

Default damn pretty water

That first shot nearly had me running to the garage to start loading gear in the SUV. The rest were terrific as well. Please keep the reports coming.

I've never fished the MFFR, but I think I'm going to have to remedy that gap in my experience.

What time of year does the topwater action start to get fairly consistent (if ever)?

Mike
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Thanks Aaron - Will do!

Mike - On average the MFFR dry fly action is good June, July, and as the heat comes on of summer, mornings have good spinner falls and the last hour of light can be magic with caddis and pale evening duns. It pays to fish below the Two Rivers access where Jamison creek enters when the river warms up, this is the main source of cold water in the upper watershed. It resumes again in Sept, and Oct. Water temps need to be around 52 degrees before they will come up to the surface.

Jon.

Default Toot Toot Back at Ya

Quote Originally Posted by Troutstalker55B View Post
    Frank,
    But this is why we both want to promote our bug classes that can be found under the entomology heading of this board and on my website - We want people to be able to understand the bug world in a easy and fun way.

BTW folks - I'm now permitted to operate in the Tahoe national forest which includes part of the North Fork Yuba river under Thy Rod & Staff's USFS special use permit. Toot Toot!!!

Jon.
    Jon---Since I seldom go to the Entomology section I didn't notice the announcement of your bug clinic.

Which elicits a question to Aaron:

What is the preferred BB protocol relative to topic heading for announcing classes, clinics or guide info? I've noticed that contributors have used both "General" and "Rivers & Streams"

Frank R. Pisciotta

PS...Jon, in the future let the board know about "Prime-Time" on the NF Yuba in the area you're permitted while operating on Tahoe National Forest lands.

What a difference a day makes. Yesterday was about as tough as it gets on the river. Water temps were down almost 10* from Wednesday and the fish were lockjawed. My normal spots didnt produce, but we were finally able to get into some fish late in the day swinging soft hackles. Temps were up to 58* late in the afternoon. Lots of bugs out too. Really nice Sulfur hatch by Two Rivers and caddis, little yellow sallies, march browns and bwo's around Graeagle. The river will be low and clear by the middle of the month and as fast as it came up the other day it has already dropped that amount and another 6". By the way Jonny, it was dumping snow in Gaeagle when I drove through on Friday to my graduation.

Get it while its good, cuz this window will be gone in a flash.

Jay
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"

Default Had a blast fishing with Jon

Jon's post says it all. I was his "dude" on Sunday. I actually started fishing in Graeagle Saturday afternoon before I met up with Jon on Sunday. I had some success on Saturday, but what a difference an experienced guide makes. Jon got me into many, many willing fish on Sunday and it was absolutely fantastic. I've been flyfishing since I was 6, but I can't stress enough how that local guide expertise makes it better regardless of your skill set. I've always wanted to learn more about tactics and techniques for the MFFR and Jon was a great teacher. I had a great time.

Boondoggle