Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stumpy Meadows Reservoir

Default Stumpy Meadows Reservoir

Can anybody tell me anything about it? Because my cousins, bro and I are headin' up there next month for a campin' trip.

Is it even worth my time? And if so any kind of pattern(s) in particular I should bring?

Note: Despite my forum name I plan on fishin' early mornin' and late afternoon when my family is not swimmin' in the lake and I'm not out explorin' or takin' pictures.... I also noticed the Rubicon is near by, is there any easy way to get there in the form of roads/trails?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Question Stumpy Meadows....

If you use the "search" function on this BB and key in Stumpy Meadows, several threads will appear o Stumpy Meadows. I can't sya what's in them but that's a good place to start.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I used to frequent Stumpy a lot back in my bait dunkin' days and I did better further back toward the feeder stream (Pilot Creek) than down by the dam. The Rubicon is not too far away, you'll cross over the Ellicot Bridge, which is the bridge that crosses the Rubicon on the way to French Meadows and Hell Hole, and you can access the river there. There is a decent path going upstream from there and a whole lot of wilderness from the bridge all the way down to the powerhouse outside of Foresthill (21 miles). I fished the whole length of the latter stretch a long time ago and didn't do too well.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Had a few good days there last year trolling conventional gear, and slow-trolling nightcrawlers. Pilot Creek inlet looked real good, but struck out there plugging for browns. If you can get up to Pilot Creek real early or late, I bet you would find some nice browns.

If you want to fish flies, I would try the Rube. Easy hike on Hunter's Trail upstream of Elicot's Bridge. After a couple of miles you get down to the water. Small water, but plentiful small 'bows. We fished stimulators and attractors with pt nymph droppers, and got a mix of surface and subsurface hits. Saw plenty of evidence of bears, so look out for them and for rattlers. Beautiful country though.

Stumpy is tough, even after a plant. I took my son up there yesterday for his 3rd bday, he caught a nice 16" rainbow dunking powerbait. I did pretty good from my tube by the boat launch last winter just after a plant, and have caught some nice fish in the back of the lake (all using wiggle tails on an I line). Good luck.

PS - Stumpy is one of my all time favorite lakes to swim in so you could just pack a cooler full of beer and enjoy the water?

Dan

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by DFrink; 05-25-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman

Once again Dan gets out fished by his kid. Looks like I need to call your boy next time I am going out fishing.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Very funny Scott. I'm hoping he will go pro and I can retire early, but I'm not quitting my day job just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    Once again Dan gets out fished by his kid. Looks like I need to call your boy next time I am going out fishing.
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman

Talking stumpy

Got a couple acres very close to there. I used to fish it a lot with a tube. Throw a bugger in and around the inlet around the stumps. Nothing huge, but consistent.
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish that I catch, the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me any way".

Bring a lot of bug spray,the mosquitoes will eat you alive, from sunup to sundown, one day there was all i could handle. I will never camp there again.

Down by the lake they aren't to bad, was there for about 4 hours Thursday and didn't see any bugs.

Dan
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman