Thread: Toy Truk...

Default Toy Truk...

How are the conditions on the Little Truckee? Other streams in the area? (Sagehen....) Thanks

Bob, Sagehen (and other creeks) have come down to a normal seasonal creek flow. Read fishy...
    The Lt has changeable flows.
    Check the USGS flows before coming up.
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ca/nwis/current/?type=flow
    I don't enjoy it much under 80 cfs. Looks to be booming at 350+. Woohoo. Bring some split shot.....
    Might as well fish the T....
    Come mid week for a little quiet.....but at these flows it'll be less crowded even on a weekend..

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 05-19-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Default ...a hypothesis on Truckee area small creeks

The below has been true in the near and long past in the Truckee area as it applies to small area creeks and streams (the LT below the dam excluded):

1---initially they are too cold & too high; both from the melt

2---then they are at decent flows, but still too cold

3---then there is a prime-time, it last 7-10 days; when the flows & water temps are perfect. Be there...if one is too late, optimum conditions are gone for productive fly angling.

An addendum:

4---then they are too low & too warm...tough fishing at best

All have different prime-times; the key being to know when conditions are optimum on each

Frank R. Pisciotta
    Last edited by Frank R. Pisciotta; 05-20-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Default Given your hypothesis...

Given your hypothesis Frank, which, if any, of the smaller creeks looks good the first week of June?

Default a direct question & an evasion answer.

BobVP---Well, I did not anticipate such a question; merely presenting my hypothesis. I guess it can be considered a valid question since I may have opened myself up to such.

But, I'd preferr not to mention my guesses on this forum. The reason being is that the smallish waters are easily impacted. If you wish, send me a PM.

Please also indicate where you live...not indicated on your post.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Default I understand

I understand your reticence, knowing well how small streams are often easily crowded. Guess I'll need to play it by ear. Thanks for the information though. I do enjoy a good hypothesis, especially from someone that uses the word hypothesis...

This whole Truckee venture is new as my original plan (to start the trip in Downieville and work north to the McCloud) was thwarted by my brother who had the audacity to invite me to his wedding in Nevada! Dang him! Couldn't just tell him I would be fishing, huh! So...Punt! Less MFF and more Truckee.

As far as where I live: Fort Bragg. We've even met once and I know a fellow here (Albion) that has guided with you over the years...You know who I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by BobVP View Post
    I understand your reticence, knowing well how small streams are often easily crowded...

...Less MFF and more Truckee...

...We've even met once and I know a fellow here (Albion) that has guided with you over the years...You know who I mean.
    BobVP...Well OK...because of our mutual friend being one of the most knowledgeable fly anglers I ever ever met; send me your phone number (via PM) I'll give you any info you want. I'm guessing you spoke to him about the fly fishing he had when he visited here in Truckee last fall.

Frank R. Pisciotta