Thread: Deer Creek

Default Deer Creek

Camped at Potatoe Patch Tues thru Thurs last week. Nobody but me at the campground and for that matter fishing. Caught a few trout each day on hare's ears or pt nymphs. Stream seemed to be in great shape..not heavy at all. Hoped for some dry action but had no luck. Be careful of regulations cuz a warden did check me for my barb on my fly. He was pretty gung ho cuz he even took me back to my camp to look in my cooler. Guess he really wanted to find something but didn't.
    I'm wild about native planters!

I usually fish above the falls to avoid the gung-ho-revenue-hunters.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

ii was there a week ago and per usual, caught lots of smallish, pretty, trout on dries only in the heat of the day with absolutely nothing emerging. flows were perfect for wading; I was expecting more flow and less fish based on earlier posts on this website....saw a couple fishermen drinking corona at the 32 bridge crossing but nobody else fishing.

Some dry patterns, and parts of the river, produce better than others. I use ~#18 parachutes, light fluoro tippet, and fish pocket water; I stay away from tailouts and slow drifts in deep water where you can "see" the fly easily (and the fish can see you).