Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower Sac camping ideas?

Default Lower Sac camping ideas?

Hello all...I'm going to be floating the Lower Sac for a 3 days a few weeks from now and was wondering if anyone had any ideas about where to camp. We will be taking out and shuttling each night so I'm not necessarily looking for somewhere on the river, but anything within a half hour of the Redding/Red Bluff area would be great. For some reason I can't find any good info online about public campgrounds...perhaps they just don't exist? Thanks in advance for any help.

-Ben

I think sac river rv park in Anderson on knighton allows camping...not sure though. I would camp on the river at least 1 night, email me if you need any info on spots.
    Capt. Darrin Deel
    www.acflyfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin.Deel View Post
    I think sac river rv park in Anderson on knighton allows camping...not sure though. I would camp on the river at least 1 night, email me if you need any info on spots.
    I'm down to camp along the river as long as there is somewhere to park the boat and pickup. I'm just worried about making a mistake and squating on some private property! That's why I initially wanted to find a public campground...but I'd much rather be away from the crowds.

-Ben

Default Sac River RV Park

I have camped here. I seem to remember there being enough room in the tent camping area to park a boat next to my tent. The down side is that there was a loud industrial plant across the river that ran all night. Hope that helps.
    Gregg

jones valley at lake shasta has a campground. there is also a few campgrounds around whiskeytown. all about 30-45min drive from redding.

Call "The Fly Shop" in Redding, CA.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I can not think of a "camp ground" other than a trailer park around Red Bluff.With that said there are places you could camp, almost every summer I see groups stay over night at the Bend Bridge parking area which has restrooms and tables. I have also seen people camp in the area adjacent to the Barge Hole. There used to be a portable outhouse near Massacre Flats on BLM land so assume camping would be OK. Much of the land between Jellys Ferry Bridge and Bend Bridge (East Side) is BLM and I don't think there are any camping restrictions.

Slightly beyond your half hour limit there is a camp ground at Woodson Bridge which is south of Corning. I haven't been down there in years and all I remember is trailers.

There is a fantastic campground at the east side of the Red Bluff diversion dam. Quiet, on the water, spacious and cheap. Big sycamores, boat ramp, security, etc.

If you don't mind going primitive on camping, there are places that you could camp that would allow for three good drifts. There is a large island at Kapusta (about half way from Bonny to Anderson) where you could camp if you wanted to start in Redding. Night two would be easier as you will reach BLM and state property passed Balls Ferry. I've seen guys camp at the Gravel Bar put in a couple of miles upstream of Jellys Ferry (called the Old Battle Creek access on the map below).

There are bathrooms and boat ramps at Posse, Bonny, Anderson (a short walk), Balls Ferry, Jellys, and Bend Bridge. No bathroom at the primitive ramp at the Gravel Bar mentioned above. There is a bathroom at Massacre Flat too, however, the float from Massacre Flat to Bend is short. You can get food and beer (to go or eat in) at Rooster's Landing at Balls Ferry for a break, otherwise, no services within walking distance anywhere close to the ramps.

I think it would be more fun and easier to camp on the river. Most of the campgrounds in the area are around the lakes. There is a reservation only camp ground on the river shown on the map below near the mouth of Cottonwood Creek. I've driven in there and its pretty nice and has bathrooms. There are trails that lead to the river from the campground, but I can't remember how far it is down to the river. It might be a pain to lug gear back and forth to a boat. Driving in is simple, obviously, and keeps you as close to the river as possible.

Edit: Looks like a pretty good fee for the campground. It is likely out unless you have a flotilla of boats.

Leave your rig as empty as possible at all parking lots.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...ochure_Map.pdf
    Last edited by dude02; 05-10-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    There is a fantastic campground at the east side of the Red Bluff diversion dam. Quiet, on the water, spacious and cheap. Big sycamores, boat ramp, security, etc.
    Thanks Ralph...I just booked a few nights at the Sycamore Grove campground. Looks perfect, lets hope the fishing is as well.

-Ben