Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carpenter Ants

Default Carpenter Ants

The Carpenter Ants have popped here in Nevada City today. It would be cool if you Truckee locs would chime in when they pop there and see the difference in the number of days it takes for them to come out at that elevation. Frankie da Fish, Bigfly, Gilligan, let us know - Thanks,

Jon.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

I live in south lake and haven't seen one yet. I'll keep you posted for sure. I have been looking too.

cant wait!

Jim feel free to give me a ring when they do

Default ...no see-um yet

Jon et al---Generally the large, winged/unwinged Black Carpenter ants do not make a significant appearance until the end of May or early June. There are several theories as to what climatic conditions that trigger the "emergence"...in numbers, not just a few. Ralph has a theory that they appear with pollen and of course is "uplift" theory. "

Also, they can be here in intense numbers for 1-3 days or spread-out over 7-10 days in non-intense numbers.

This year it is possible they may appear earlier than usual because of the mild-winter....

Here is my take from a 2002 article in NorthWest Fly Fishing magazine:

"...Mid-June is your first real chance of inducing a trout to the surface. Waning spring is an unbeknown and locally loved “Big Bugs Of June” annual happening; Western Green Drakes, Golden Stones and huge, winged, Black Carpenter Ants provide an interesting menu. The stream occupants are aware and on the lookout for the opportunity to ambush such high caloric morsels. Out-sized trout, in the 18”-23” class, lose abandon of their cannibalistic habits and vacate the depths to bust the surface for the chance at these bugs. During this period, you can experience explosive top water takes along with you personal adrenalin rush...."

Frank R. Pisciotta

alternately known as Frankie da Fish, CyberFly!!, Frankie Flav or Uncle Frank and others....

Thanks Frank, good info right there. When I lived full time in Graeagle the ants would come out just like you said in a three day period or stretched out over a week. I've never had a good day fishing the ants on the MFFR due to the cold water temps, but have had some great days at Lake Davis. I think you may see them around the 21st of May if we keep getting this warm weather.

Jon.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Jon, nothing yet, but I spent all night and morning tying them up.
    That must mean they're close.
    It could be this week, or next.
    I'm also curious about time difference between foothills and here.
    Let you know.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 05-09-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Walked the dogs at Zephyr Cove at Lake Tahoe today. Saw some Mound Ants with wings in the meadows. No flying ants on the beaches. Got to be close.

Fishing Frenchman Lake on thur/fri. I will be throwing an ant pattern to any rising fsh I see. The midging has been great this spring. Will post when I get back.

Default good point....

Jon---I agree; not having consisitently great success with large Black Ants on the BT; occassioanlly epic though. Similar to you I've had my best success with #8 Winged, Foam Ants on Milton Lake. It has resulted in the the very few original fly patterns I've ever created...the Milton Monstrosity.

Frank R. Pisciotta

PS---I believe I've created mythical importance with my coining of the "Big Bugs of June" tag

Default Ants

Saw some here around Hirschdale, and down below today. I'm sure fish will be keyed up on 'em here shortly.

Gilligan

www.gilligansguideservice.com
    www.gilligansguideservice.com/blog/

Driving up 20 and I-80 today, a bunch of ant hits to the windshield around Skillman and again in Cisco Grove. None on the T.