Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rio sinking line for lake trout???

Default Rio sinking line for lake trout???

I need to get my hands on a sinking line for lake trout. Mainly stripping buggers and other similiar patterns. I am assuming I will be targetting the 10' to 30' depths. What line have you gentleman found that casts well with a 6wt and can be fished in those depths. Full sink or sink tip, yada yada yada.

Also Id like to add that I am a Rio fan, I am comfortable with those lines and since having faith and confidence in your equipment can mean the difference sometimes, I prefer to stick with rio.

Thanks guys

I fish a Rio Intermediate line and I like it. It does have a lot of memory (I always stretch it before I start the day fishing), but this is my first I-line so I have nothing to compare it to. I do like the welded loop that it comes with, pain in the ass when you're sitting in a tube and you nail knot catches a guide. I wouldn't recommend it for a lot deaper than maybe 10'(that may be pushing it), you'll want a type 3 or 4 for that depth and deeper.

Dan
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman

Quote Originally Posted by Icastnblast View Post
    I need to get my hands on a sinking line for lake trout. Mainly stripping buggers and other similiar patterns. I am assuming I will be targetting the 10' to 30' depths. What line have you gentleman found that casts well with a 6wt and can be fished in those depths. Full sink or sink tip, yada yada yada.

Also Id like to add that I am a Rio fan, I am comfortable with those lines and since having faith and confidence in your equipment can mean the difference sometimes, I prefer to stick with rio.

Thanks guys
    Rio's Deep 7 lake line is what I use and love it. It also casts great even on a 5wt.

Quote Originally Posted by Icastnblast View Post

Thanks guys
    I've used a T-11 shooting head with success. Best way to cover a lot of water. 30 feet is a long way down with any standard fly line. That said, handling 50 feet or more of running line from a float tube is difficult at best.

I like my Rio Type 6. Sinks like a rock and cast very well. The running line shoots like crazy.
    Last edited by BillB; 05-02-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Here a second for the Deep 7.
    T.

Maybe I should clarify that the I-line is an aqualux line.

Quote Originally Posted by DFrink View Post
    I fish a Rio Intermediate line and I like it. It does have a lot of memory (I always stretch it before I start the day fishing), but this is my first I-line so I have nothing to compare it to. I do like the welded loop that it comes with, pain in the ass when you're sitting in a tube and you nail knot catches a guide. I wouldn't recommend it for a lot deaper than maybe 10'(that may be pushing it), you'll want a type 3 or 4 for that depth and deeper.

Dan
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman

I fish Rio in all my floating lines. For water from 1 to 10 feet I like the Cortland clear camo intermediate, it has the least amount of memory of all of the clear intermediates out there in my opinion. Anything past 10 feet I like a type 4 uniform sink line. In the fall when the fish are very aggressive and feeding on everything they can find they will come much closer to your tube I fish a 30 foot T-11 attached to my intermediate line.

I found that the Cortland intermediate with its rocket taper design casts a mile.
    I do love me some "Stillwater" fly fishing....Ernie

Ernie Gulley Fly Fishing Guide Service

(909)953-1770

Email: erniegulleyflyfishing@aol.com
    Web: www.erniegulleyflyfishingguideservice.com

The best selling/most popular lake line has been the old Cortland Clear Camo Intermediate slow to medium sinking (1.5 to 2 ips) full line for decades now but the new Rio CamoLux Intermediate full line with welded loops is taking that place slowly now.

For faster sinking lines Rio has full sinking lines in type 3, type 4 and type 6 plus the "Deep 7".

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines...-sinking/hover

It just depends how fast you want/need to sink your fly.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

You probably need the Deep 7. But, with some patience, the Teeny 130 type line gets down there too.... In Rio, there's a 24' sink tip in 150 grains too. I have used both the T130 and Rio 150. I prefer the thinner T130 for trout fishing, but the Rio 150 is more durable and is a DC type line too. Durability is important especially if you're fishing from a boat and stepping all over your line.....