Thread: "Bleeding Baitfish" Fly

Default "Bleeding Baitfish" Fly

Wanted to share my newest fly pattern that I tied to fish for striped bass and largemouth bass. It's my own personal pattern.

Hooks are Umpqua TMC 811S 3/0 Saltwater , Spirit River 3-D Molded Eyes Red 3.5mm , Body material is Flash'N Slinky GRN/Multi #9P4K0000(made in South Africa) and Steve Farrar's Flash Blend in Bledding Yellow color, Head is made with Chartreuse Cactus Chenille, and 18 wraps of .030 lead wire to weight the fly. What I always do is after I wrap the lead on I use some Softex Flexable Coating to help strengthen everything. With the big fish I want my fly to last fish after fish. So do your 18 wraps of lead first and then start with the body material in about 31/2 inch lengths. What I do is start with the green body material and tie that in working from the tail forward layer after layer then I mix the Bleeding Yellow color in with the green. You can use a little bit of Red Flasabou too if you want. Work your way towards the head and then tie in very evenly the cactus chenille for the head leaving enough room to tie of with a double whip finish for extra strength. Use head cement or Softex over your whip finish. You will need to trim the body to whatever taper you want it to be as a baitfish. Take your time trimming the fly!! Last step is to use 5 minute Epoxy to glue the eyes on and you are done!

Tight Lines!! " On"

Jeannie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_9295_0011.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	4424  

Thumbs up Baitfish....

I like it. Do you taper the head at all Have you fished it yet
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I'll take a bakers dozen of those dandy's. Half in black plezzzzzzz
    The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.

Team Stinky Duck

Default Re: Bleeding Baitfish Fly

Thank you Darian and Gregg H.!
    As far as tapering the head I just trimmed a small amount to my liking. I haven't fished it yet but I know it will work great! Can't wait to try it out!!
    Hey Gregg, I actually planned on making some with black!! Thanks for the compliments! " On"

Jeannie

Great looking fly! I recently read an article from Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS) on striper vision. The color that they see the best is chartreuse. So that fly should get them. I am not sure if they can see red. Most fish cannot. Red appears as black in fish vision. That would also make an excellent baby and juvenile tarpon fly. They see chart very well.

Default Re:Bleeding Baitfish Fly

Thank you FISHEYE!!! That is really interesting about striper vision!! I wonder how they made the determination that they can see red as black. But if they do see red as black maybe that has something to do with predatory instincts and how they see blood. Interesting stuff!! I wonder if all fish are able to see chartreuse as we see it because it seems to work on every kind of fish!!!
    There is a saying in the deep south "If it ain't chartreuse, it ain't no use"!!!!

" ON"

Jeannie

Jeannie, we have the same saying here in Alaska for king salmon. I will see if I can find links to some of the information I was reading. There is also a book called "what fish see." In fact, just google what fish see and start reading. Cheers! I really would not hesitate to use that fly on stripers, tarpon, jacks, roostefish, dorado or salmon.