Thread: Third Annual Shasta Trinity Fly Fishers Spey Fest.

Default Third Annual Shasta Trinity Fly Fishers Spey Fest.

The Shasta Trinity Fly Fishers will be holding their 3rd annual Spey Fest on Saturday, June 9th on the "Barge Hole" Gravel Bar on the Sacramento River near Anderson, CA (just south of Redding). This event will feature spey and switch rod casting instructions, lessons, fly tying, and much more. The event will be attended by several suppliers, so attendees will have a chance to test several different types, models and makes of spey and switch rods as well as reels and spey and switch fly lines.

There is no cost for the event...and it includes a free lunch.

If you would like to try spey or switch rod casting for the first time, this is an event you don't want to miss.

If you are an experienced spey and switch rod user, this is definitely the event for you!

Email rdrservices@frontiernet.net for more information.

More info:

http://shastatrinityflyfishers.org/speyfest.html

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Burkheimer Fly Rods will be at Spey Fest

If you come to the Spey Fest drop by the CF Burkheimer display to see and cast the latest spey rods from 11'5" 5 wts to 15' 10 wts.

Burkheimer rods have a deep loading action which lends itself to developing a smooth casting stroke that is equally efficient for casting Scandi's, Mid-Bellys and Skagits. We will have all three line types available for you to cast.

Stop by and meet Whitney Gould, member of the Burkheimer Pro-Staff, and current Women's World Champion of the Golden Gate Angler's Casting Club Spey-o-Rama. Whitney is also a 3-time winner of this event and has placed in the 1st or 2nd place at least 5 times.

Whitney will be giving an on-stream demonstration that you will not want to miss.

Check out CF Burkheimer at http://cfbflyrods.com

Hope to see you there.
    Brian Endlich

This was a very good event last year. There are more activities this year so it should be even better. It is worth it for the lunch which is free.

Default Share Ride from Sacramento?

Anyone interested in sharing a ride from Sacramento to the Spey Fest on Saturday? I just got a switch rod and want to check out different lines for it. Looks like there is plenty to learn about this two handed stuff.

If so, email me - cmcculloch (at) jps (dot) net

Craig

Default Till Next Year

This turned out to be a great event. It was very windy which provided a challenge for the presenters who were all very informative and gave excellant instruction. Mike McCune even caught a fish during his presentation so he was able to demonstate how to land a fish with a spey rod, ironically someone had asked that question a few minutes prior. All of the presenters should be commended but a few that really shined were Jeff Putnan's, Whitney Gould's, and Justin Miller's. Andrew Harris did a very informative presentation on fishing the Lower Sac with a light weight spey rod, now I have to get one. Lunch was very good and the price was right, free. There were some outstanding raffle prizes and I managed to keep my streak of not winning intact. If you are the least bit interested in spey casting or fishing this is a must attend event next year.

Default Spey Fest 2012 images

The morning crowd was enthusiastic and dressed to spey.

Lead off presenter Dax Messett gets the crowd warmed up with Common Faults and Simple Solutions.

If you didn't put rocks on your chair it might end up in the River.

Whitney and Cookie Monster ham it up for the camera, along with some unidentified innocent bystanders.

The afternoon crowd, canines included, intent on casting demonstrations.

Whitney Gould and ? (I forgot your name, not in the program, my apologies) demonstrating the basic elements of Spey Casting.

Did someone mention that it was really windy ?

Hardy souls brave Tierra del Fuego force winds to cast the rods on their wish lists.

Clean up presenter Mike McCune (Advanced Spey Techniques) demonstrates the proper technique for landing and releasing a fish when using a Spey Rod. Yes, an actual Sacramento River rainbow trout caught on a soft hackle.

Brian Endlich

It is Cara Tripp fron The Fly Shop, I thought her and Whitney Gould put on a great presentation even though they had only just met 20 minutes prior.

Default spey fest

Brian,
    Great job with the photo essay. Plenty of paper weights available!
    Best to ya,
    Larry S