Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good Starter Vice????

Default everyone has said it...

Just follow the advice above because if there's a decent chance that you will continue to be a fly fisherman, learning how to tie some of your standard nymphs and woolly buggers will get you set for the vast majority of your fishing. IMO, a Regal is a very good vice and reasonable value to last you for the rest of your tying years. If for some reason you decide that tying isn't fun, you will get a fair value on its resale. Many people prefer a pedestal stand but I'm in the minority where I don't want any movement when I'm tying. I always try to get a "C" clamp version because it's always easier to pack (less weight) and you can tying anywhere like a motel room, bench by the river/lake or even on your tailgate.

The only other advice is to pick up some good tying tools like two scissors (one for course and the other for fine), bobbin holder and always use quality brand hooks. Don't buy cheap hooks because you can lose a fish of your lifetime because of that poor decision.

Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan LeCount View Post
    Dyna king kingfisher
    Right around a hundred bucks and if you get an extra set of jaws it will last 20 years or more of commercial level tying.
    Another vote for Dyna-King.

Local company, too.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSmallFly View Post
    To put my two cents in:

A Vice really is only to do one thing. Hold the hook. When starting to tie, I tied Pheasant tails, Woolly Buggers, etc.. It was not until a few years later, that I was able to appreciate a Rotary Vice, and the quality difference in a brand name. My first vice was not a brand name and was only $30. Sure since then I have purchased a few other top of the line Vice's before finding the best one for me. They all have their niches that you will either prefer or not. But until you have decided that you like tying your own flies, just check to be sure that the vice will hold the hook, and just about all of them that well enough to get you started.

FYI: I started to really appreciate all the bells and whistles of the big name vices when I would trade my share of gas money, or lunch, to the others going fishing that day. The best payoff was a Montanna Trip (especially when they all fished often enough not to loose too many flies). 6 dozen flies to not have to pay for gas to Montanna? I would have tied that many anyway.
    This thread prompted me to just purchase a Dan Vise. Just retired my Thompson A vise that I have used for 55 years. The fish never asked what type of vise the fly was tied on.
    Gordon Langenbeck
    Grants Pass, OR

There are plenty of good vises out there. I love Dyna Kings - we use them in our classes and it's the primary vice I've used for the last 20 years (or more). I would suggest buying a good used vice rather than an cheap new one. If you tie on the road (and you will), get a solid pedestal (not necessarily the one that was supplied with your vice).

Default vise

I have a Peak Rotary really like it. It's made it America Too!

You've gotten some really good advice from these folks. This has been addressed before and I have to agree with many of the comments. I have been tying for almost 60 years now, started on a really cheap-o vise and have worked my way up. You want to keep your cost down until you know if you will like fly tying or not...GREAT IDEA. For that reason I agree with those who recommended a knock-off of the Regal vise. These work well and if you decide you don't like fly tying you can get rid of it and not be in the hole. As far as tools and materials, well, that could be another story but you can recoup much of the investment on ebay, etc.

After you have tied until you make your decision on like/dislike you can then decide where you want to proceed. The vise you have will serve for at least several years if you care for it. If you want more and better, then the world opens to a vast array of confusing items. What I would recommend when you reach that point is to attend some of the fly fishing shows and observe what the demonstration tiers are using and how they are using them. They wouldn't be demonstrating if they didn't have some skills, experience, and practice, so you can learn from them and I have yet to meet one who didn't have an opinion on his/her vise. Then you can get what suits you and will last a lifetime.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat103884480

$12.99

Maybe this is why I can't tie very well....
    Itchin' for a fishin'

Wow! Tons of good advice. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to go with a dyna king for now. Im also going to get a few books, dvds, and maybe take a class somewhere near SF to cut the learning curve quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    Wow! Tons of good advice. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to go with a dyna king for now. Im also going to get a few books, dvds, and maybe take a class somewhere near SF to cut the learning curve quicker.
    Check out fly tying on YouTube. Amazing amount of great information and step by step instructions. Start with something simple like a wooly bugger, elk hair caddis or pheasant tail and watch a few of the vids on the fly before getting to work. There is more than one way to skin a cat and different tiers will demonstrate different tips and techniques for the same fly.

In the past, I have had a Ned Grey vise, cheap, but got me started. A Thompson A, helped me to elevate my skills. Currently I have three vises, a Norvise, Regal and Dyna King Professional. The Norvise I use occasionally when tying buggers and other rotary intensive flies. The Regal, with standard and midge jaws was my everyday vise for years. I liked the " bulldog " bite, but I've had a problem with chipping jaws. The steel is just not up to the task. Regal changed owners and the lifetime warranty that came with a purchase made in 1988 has been compromised. On to Dyna King, certainly a bit more pricey, but you can't beat the steel jaws and the holding power of this design. Even the lower priced Kingfisher is a well designed and built vise. Congratulations on your choice of Dyna King. It is a quality product and the last vise I'll have to buy.