Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good Starter Vice????

Default Good Starter Vice????

Can anyone recommend a good starter tying vice that not going to break the bank. I am starting to tie. Any recommendations? Preferably one that rotates.

Okay here goes... I have one of these http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...1297/cat101069

You may be able to get something comparable from Kienes (mine was a gift). It works really well for my limited tying that I do. I'm sure some guys are going to come on and say you need to get a much more expensive vice... But for starters this works, holds the hook in place tightly and is very versatile. Hope this helps.
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman

Griffin makes a great cheap vise, the 1A is strong for $50

http://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/vises.html

DO NOT get a cheap "lever-back" vise, like a Thompson A vise, they do not hold hooks properly or very tightly.
    Do not get something like this:

This kind of vise sucks, you will want to replace way too soon with a bad vise,they can be extremely frustrating.
    Last edited by Adam Grace; 04-19-2012 at 02:59 PM.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Mike O Guest

I like the Regal/royal type which work opposite of the other vises...like the one in the first response. Squeeze to open, let go to close, holds tight...

The Regals are a lot more expensive, but I bought the knockoff first and still use it. It is made by Targus, and can be had for less than 50 bucks. I don't like the cam action vices, or the screw types either for the same reason....they take longer to set up the hook

Avarice? Sloth?

Mike O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by royewest View Post
    Avarice? Sloth?
    LOL...I find that since I started with gluttony, the rest kinda fell into place after that

Default don't go too cheap

I got a starter kit as a hand me down from my Dad, and it had one of those vice types that Adam pointed out to avoid. My Dad tried tying and promptly gave up on it, and I think I wasn't too far from following his lead until I replaced that P.O.S vice. I'm not one to spend far more money than I need to on any of my gear, but I also am a big believer in buying quality and "buying once".
    I ended up going with a Regal vice that went for something like $160 or so if I recall. Two things that are very handy to me, are the quick release lever action to clamp and unclamp the jaws, and the ability to rotate the vice for both inspecting and tying at all angles. I don't think that there would be any need to spend any more than that on a vice as a beginner, and you could probably get something still solid but a fair bit cheaper. Just don't buy something that won't hold the hooks tightly, and will only end up frustrating you and stunting your ability to learn and develop your skills. Keep in mind that all in all the difference between a vice that costs you $50 vs $150 is pretty small potatoes once you start to look at all the materials that you'll amass over the lifespan of the vice ...
    JB

Get a danvise. It is a true rotary vise and not very expensive.

For under $100 I recommend the Danvise. I used one as a travel vise for a couple of years and never had an issue (ymmv).
    That being said, I would suggest buying the best vise you can afford.

What's the best vise for you? If I could answer that I'd be the smartest guy since Einstein.
    Last edited by oldtrout; 04-20-2012 at 03:25 AM.
    Don Gustafson