Thread: Bay Area Road Trippin'

Default Bay Area Road Trippin'

Will be coming through during Memorial week and what are some must places to fish as we'll be heading north on the 97 through Redding and onto Klamath Falls. I have a general idea, but some suggestions would be appreciated as my time will be limited on the water due to the wife and two young kids. Its really more of an exploration for a return trip.

1. Trinity tailwater below the dam, where is the nearest access point that allows for bank angling/wading?

2. Lower Sacramento, Below Shasta dam or perhaps into Redding, are there relatively easy locations where it might be accessed and fished?

3. Klamath Falls, any suggestions here?

4. Crane Prarie Reservoir, I'll be withOUT a boat, but I've read and salivated over this place. I don't even mind casting from the bank and using Chironomids and or big Dragon fly imitations as I've heard there are some big hogs in there.

5. Bend, Can it be fished in downtown, Deschutes river?

Thanks for the suggestions, my time is going to be limited, like an hour or two at max at each location, so I'd like to maximize my chance to connect with a sampler from each of these locations.

do you have time to take a drift boat trip down the lower sac? I believe half day trips are offered........some kick butt world class fishing in that river........
    I have seen people wading near the Sun Dial bridge and other bridges downstream from there.

Default lower sac

Give me a p.m. with a contact number and ill let you in on a wadeable section of river that is fishable up to 9000 cfs safely, and its fishy.

You'll be limiting yourself without a boat and the time constraints you've mentioned regarding Crane Praire. There are a few locations near the dam and near Cow Creek where foot access is possible, but a boat is really needed to be effective on Crane. It literally is a flooded "praire," - shallow, weedy, dead fallen trees and gin clear water. Pretty technical fishery. You can contact Jodie or the staff at Crane Praire Resort (541)383-3939 and they may have some inside information for shore-bound anglers near their facility.
    A better option may be the Upper Deschutes,which feeds Crane and nearly all of it is accessible along the Cascades Loop Highway. The Fall River is close as well and is very accessible and "kid friendly." A good contact for up to date info is Bob Gaviglio at the Sunriver Fly Shop, (541)593-8814. Tell him Rick Hansen said "hi!"
    The Deschutes in Bend is a cool little place - not heavily fished, kid friendly and great access from the many parks and bridges that line the river. Don't expect to knock 'em dead - there's a reason it's not heavily fished... The fishing is better (bigger fish, browns are the target) near Tumulo but a bit less accessable than in town. The best contact in Bend for information is Peter, at the Paitent Angler (541)389-6208. Peter is the most knowledgable guy I know for Redsides and Steelhead on the Lower Descutes, too. Excellent opportunity if you are heading farther north on 97 near Maupin.
    May is not to late for snow, so be prepared. One thing for certain - Memorial Day weekend is the traditional opening day of "fishing season," and you'll not be alone....

Default Thank you!

Great ideas and suggestions, I wish I had more time, my pram, and without the constraints of wife and the kids. Its going to be a tour/sampler of fishing and exploring for a return visit to fish it hard. Keep the suggestions coming folks!