Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a Handgun While Wearing Waders

"They" are sure trying pretty hard.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnwhite44 View Post
    Wow, it sure appears as though a lot of fishermen are packin while out on water. It makes me think twice about confronting an angler who is crowding me or showing a lack of fishing etiquette for fear of someone brandishing a firearm. I have some non fishing friends who think I'm crazy to go out in the wilderness and not bring a handgun as I often venture out alone.

While fishing the uppersac just above Mossbrae Falls, hardly a desolate location, I walked up on a fly guy taking his lunchbreak he jumped up faced me and put his right hand down his back side and stood in that position during our whole encounter. I thought about it later and figured he was either grabbing his weapon or he had an itchy butt. I'm only 5'6" so I not very imposing. I now make sure I don't walk up on anyone.

Dave, they are not going to take your guns away.
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman

Default A small point

I had a feeling this might turn into a pro gun/anti gun thread. I don't really want to hijack it any further from the original posters simple query for suggestions on how to cary. I would like to suggest one additional aspect of gun responsibility that I rarely see mentioned. You really should make certain that your fishing/traveling partners are notified that you are traveling with a gun. Some of us would be less than comfortable, or at least want to be aware that there is a gun that is present. I travel with some people who like to cary one, and I trust them to that end largely because I trust their sense of judgement in handling any *potentially* hazardous situation; then again there are quite a few people who I would NOT feel comfortable being on a trip if I knew that they had a firearm with them (for a variety of reasons).

To each their own, but I have always questioned which types of scenarios a gun *could* improve my sense of safety and which ones I feel it *could* actually increase the potential for things to go from bad to worse (say stumbling onto a pot farm operation). Probably a lot of situations, like Mt Lions for example, I doubt that it would make any real difference. I've thankfully had zero problems with any 4 legged critters, very few real run ins with the two legged threat. Of the ones that I have had, I honestly don't think that my situation would have been any better had I been carrying a weapon (of any sort). Traveling with dogs certainly can be a big help in nearly all these cases, depending on the dogs of course...

One thing is certain, is that carrying a weapon has the potential to change the dynamics of any situation, and not always for the better. Thus it's just good sense and proper respect that your fishing buddies should be aware of this if you choose to pack a weapon with you in the car and in the water.

Well said Jason. On the VERY rare occasion I carry a gun, the simple fact that I have a weapon raises my discomfort rather than comfort level. It's a constant reminder that something might go wrong and if I'm that paranoid, perhaps I should be someplace else. Only on one occasion have I ever wished I had a firearm when I didn't, and only on one occasion was I truly happy to have one. . . and that time I had a shotgun and still felt very vulnerable.

One of my clients is a Sac. county sherifs detective and sent m this.
    HATC

Where can I legally Open Carry?
    Loaded Open Carry is legal in your home, temporary residence or campsite (unless otherwise prohibited), place of business, private property, and in areas of unicorporated territory where shooting is not prohibited, including most areas within National Forest and BLM lands.
    With AB 144 becoming law, Unloaded Open Carry of handguns is now illegal except where loaded open carry is legal, and also in public lands (National Forests, BLM, etc.) where firearms are permitted.
    Unloaded Open Carry is still legal for long guns (rifles and shotguns) anywhere except the following places:
    · schools and "school zones" (within 1000 feet of a K-12 school)
    · California State Parks
    · "federal facilities" within the National Parks (details)
    · US Post Offices and other federal buildings
    · any state or local public building or at any legislative meeting required to be open to the public
    · the State Capitol, legislative offices, office of the Governor, Governor’s residence, etc.
    · “sterile areas” (areas where access is controlled by security screening) of airports
    · areas restricted by local city or county ordinance, often including regional parks
    What about rifles and shotguns?
    PC 12025, which makes carrying a concealed handgun illegal, does not apply to long guns so they can be carried concealed (in a vehicle, for example) or unconcealed. However all other laws apply (including PC 12031 which makes carrying loaded illegal under most circumstances).
    Update: The new Unloaded Open Carry ban (AB 144) does not apply to rifles and shotguns

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    I had a feeling this might turn into a pro gun/anti gun thread. I don't really want to hijack it any further from the original posters simple query for suggestions on how to cary. I would like to suggest one additional aspect of gun responsibility that I rarely see mentioned. You really should make certain that your fishing/traveling partners are notified that you are traveling with a gun. Some of us would be less than comfortable, or at least want to be aware that there is a gun that is present. I travel with some people who like to cary one, and I trust them to that end largely because I trust their sense of judgement in handling any *potentially* hazardous situation; then again there are quite a few people who I would NOT feel comfortable being on a trip if I knew that they had a firearm with them (for a variety of reasons).

To each their own, but I have always questioned which types of scenarios a gun *could* improve my sense of safety and which ones I feel it *could* actually increase the potential for things to go from bad to worse (say stumbling onto a pot farm operation). Probably a lot of situations, like Mt Lions for example, I doubt that it would make any real difference. I've thankfully had zero problems with any 4 legged critters, very few real run ins with the two legged threat. Of the ones that I have had, I honestly don't think that my situation would have been any better had I been carrying a weapon (of any sort). Traveling with dogs certainly can be a big help in nearly all these cases, depending on the dogs of course...

One thing is certain, is that carrying a weapon has the potential to change the dynamics of any situation, and not always for the better. Thus it's just good sense and proper respect that your fishing buddies should be aware of this if you choose to pack a weapon with you in the car and in the water.
    Excellent points Jason. You put my thoughts into words The only thing I dont agree with is the thread becoming pro. vs. anti. In fact, Im shocked and very pleased with how civil this topic has remained.
    I personally am pro-guns. I own guns but never pack them. I have a high caliber pistol for general home defense and a couple rifles for plinking. Like Ralph said, if youre packing it adds an aire of discomfort to your situation rather than comfort (IMO)

Default +1 for jb, Ralph and JB

Pepper spray is far more effective on 4-leggers, Google it.

What happens to the poster who talked his way out of trouble with 2-leggers in the two incidents if he has a gun?

There's lots of places to fish, no fishing hole is worth a dead body or jail.

JGB(gun owner, and remote area fisherman)

JasonB, I agree with Jbird that was very well said.

Dave, maybe the guy wasn't packin but he was acting pretty wierd.

I don't own a gun but I believe in every law abiding citizen's right to own one(cue the star spangled banner). My brother in law brings one camping all the time but doesn't bring it out on the water. He likes the security it brings him at night.... I guess.

I have never had a situation where I wish that I had a gun and I was held up with a sawed off shot gun by 2 meth heads while working a register during my college days. I just gave them the money and they left. Scared the shit out of me though.

Another poster mention falling. I fall all the time while fishing and would probably end up shooting myself or worse my fishing partner. JasonB you don't want me packing while fishing with you.

Stay safe out there everyone and try not to shoot anyone.

All this gun talk makes we want to buy pepper spray.

A CCW is very easy to obtain. Take the class, pay your fee and you will have your concealed weapons permit for two years (at least in Butte County)
    I always carry. I am not afraid of the four legged animals, just the two legged ones that you have to keep an eye on. My .02
    Lincoln Gray
    LG'S Fly Fishing Adventures
    530-520-6895
    http://lgflyfishingadventures.com

Responsible gun owners and carriers are assets, nothing to be feared from them. My neighbors would be very glad I lived next to them if something bad went down.

I see more and more groups of partying young guys and gals in remote areas of our rivers and forests, last year my son and his friend were fishing the Feather in a small aluminum boat when they noticed a bunch of drinking individuals on a beach across the river from them, shortly after they heard something hit their boat and then noticed things skipping across the water next to the boat. It was the people on the beach shooting at them with probably pellet guns. They picked up got around the bend and out of sight and then heard real gunshots. Beer can beach people, 20 mins from downtown Sacto, you don't have to get remote to worry about dangerous and stupid people. They left before the sheriff arrived, if they were brazen enough to directly shoot at someone with a pellet rifle its a small leap to the real stuff which they also had and the sheriff could have arrived to find a couple innocent people injured or dead and no perpetrators to be found. None of my family goes out now without protection.

I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said, but I thought this thread needed a theme song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U72ZRh4W8OU

"It can get you into trouble but it can't get you out."

I would consider myself on the pro-gun side of the fence. I own several guns but don't ever carry them. As has already been discussed, I believe bear spray is much more effective on 4 legged critters and I wouldn't trust that a gun would improve my situation against 2 legged trouble...hence the Johnny Cash lyric. If I were in law enforcement or had some training that would make me believe that a gun would give me an advantage in close range, hand-to-hand combat it may be a different story. However, I know that sitting behind a desk all week dreaming about steelhead doesn't give me a competitive edge against a meth head. I'll hand over my wallet, keys and anything else they ask for and then find a way home, alive, to my wife and two kids.

-Ben

And yes, I know that Steve Earle wrote the song but I like Johnny’s version better.