Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying a Handgun While Wearing Waders

my local DA said go to CA dept of justice for info. if you think fish and game laws are complex. if you own a gun you are guilty of something, where are our fishing lawyers and judges on this question ? George

actually unless the law has changed in the last five years. Its perfectly legal to pack a concealed pistol while fishing or hunting in California. I carry one for the two legged meth head tweakers that you encounter on the river. Plus there is a minumun security prison near one of the rivers I like to fish and convicts go missing alot. But in WA to get a cpl all you have to do is pay 60 bucks get fingerprinted and pass a background check and they give you the liscence. You can always open Carry here to without a cpl.

Ive got a ruger sp101 with 2 1/4" barrel. Extremely small, concealable 357. Its a great little revolver and would be sufficient for close encounters with most anything youd encounter in California/Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by Fats View Post
    He said he's had "live iron" drawn on him twice in his life. He didn't want that to happen again.
    Im wondering how having your own concealed side arm could prevent this from happenning. Whipping out your own gun after being "pulled on" may not be the best way to diffuse the situation.

Anyone wanting to carry should consider taking a gun safety coarse and aquiring a concealed carry permit.

I learned something today:

25640. Section 25400 does not apply to, or affect, licensed hunters
    or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable
    of being concealed upon the person while engaged in hunting or
    fishing, or transporting those firearms unloaded when going to or
    returning from the hunting or fishing expedition.

Seems pretty black and white until you start reading all the exceptions.

I quote California Penal Code Section 12025:

(a) a person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when he or she does the following: blah, blah, blah, (don't feel like typing out all of the legal mumbo-jumbo), you can look it up online: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

CPC 12027: Section 12025 does not apply to or affect and of the following: g) licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols or revolvers or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing expedition.

Now I'm not a lawyer, judge or police officer, but it seems pretty clear to me that this is a loophole in the concealed weapons law, but I imagine that most law enforcement folks out there aren't going to know about it. I have carried my snub nose .38 a few times, but I honestly don't care for the extra weight, but there are a few times when some "deliverance types" saw it, they left me well alone. However, I've found that a can of bear spray still has the same effect, is fully legal to carry, and is a whole lot lighter.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Damn, Ralph! Ya beat me to it!
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Three things:

1. Be sure to take necessary classes and obtain your CCW before carrying concealed. If you don't do that, wear it in the open in a shoulder holster.

2. There are numerous different concealed carry vests on the market. These work well as you can double many of them as your fishing vest. Best way I've found to conceal carry while fishing. Be sure to clean and reoil your pistol after every trip (every day would be better).

3. Before you carry, practice, practice, practice. I don't mean five or six shots a week. To become just proficient requires some dedication and concentration. In a stress situation you will only do as well as you train...'nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post
    Ive got a ruger sp101 with 2 1/4" barrel. Extremely small, concealable 357. Its a great little revolver and would be sufficient for close encounters with most anything youd encounter in California/Oregon.

Im wondering how having your own concealed side arm could prevent this from happenning. Whipping out your own gun after being "pulled on" may not be the best way to diffuse the situation.

Anyone wanting to carry should consider taking a gun safety coarse and aquiring a concealed carry permit.

The two times it happened in the past it was a one sided conversation for him... I didn't finish his thought fully. I believe his intent was to make sure if it occurred again it would be on a more level playing field. "An armed society is a polite society"
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

Slice... They are very similar... The LCR is lighter and all Black in color.... Frank

in eldorado national forest without a CCW you can open carry while fishing with a loaded mag in, but nothing in the chamber

while hunting, you can carry OPEN

generally concealed weapons are completely PROHIBITED unless you have your CCW

For gun choices, i have had multiple, and currently on my permit is a glock 27, imo the best concealing weapon on the market