Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a Handgun While Wearing Waders

Default handguns & waders

There was an interesting article on handgun rights in Ca in today's SFGate:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BA2J1O3418.DTL

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    If you do not have a license to carry concealed you can not carry concealed. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
    This is incorrect. Here is what DOJ has to say on the subject:

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pd...s/Cfl2007.pdf?

Read through that or take a look at the calguns posts. There are several instances where one can carry concealed w/out a permit.
    Itchin' for a fishin'

@Ted1. I agree with you but wouldn't rely on a 2007 DOJ report as a legal reference. Just this last January we saw sweeping changes in CA firearm regulations.

I trip and fall half a dozen times when I go fishing. I drop my rod a couple of times and I invariably lose something too. Sunglasses, hat, flybox, always something.

The very last thing I need to have in my pocket when I'm fishing is a gun. I'd shoot myself in the nuts first time out.

i almost always carry..i have fishpond vest that I have found makes a perfect concealable holster...the inner front zip down pocket behind the pocket where you would typically keep a fly box works great for my small glock. it is easy access and always concealed...(I do have a CCW)..

If you do some research you can carry a concealed weapon while fishing or hunting, as long as you have a license to do either. Only time you aren't allowed is if there are signs posted "No Firearms" in the area you're fishing or hunting. If you Google concealed weapons while fishing, all the info you need is right there. I would also find out which national parks and forests do not permit guns. On a side note, you're not allowed to carry a concealed weapon while bow hunting which I find strange.

Wow, it looks like I'm the only one who is anti-gun while fly fishing.

I'm sure many of you have run into bears. They amazing thing is that they are afraid of us. I've screamed at bears in the my fishing hole, and they run away. But I do respect them. When I leave the Trinity River at night and walk through the blackberry fields, I talk to myself in a loud voice. I want them to know I'm around. I don't care if people hear me and think I'm stupid. It's dark and very bushy.

I've never seen a mountain lion, and I'm not afraid of them. I would be if I lived in the city. When I lived in Orange County a few people were attacked by them. But in Trinity County, they don't attack adults.

BTW, I am an attorney. If I wanted to carry a concealed weapon, I'd pay the money for legal advice. I read that code section years ago, and it appears that you can carry a concealed weapon while fishing. But it's certainly worth $100 to get a criminal law attorney's opinion, and certainly cheaper than thousands of dollars in legal frees if you're wrong.

Getting a ccw permit is somewhat county specific in terms of the process and fees. Those living in Sacramento county, if you haven't applied already, you'll have to do so elsewhere. I'm fairly certain the sheriff's office has closed the process for the year as they're flooded out with applications. There are websites that are very helpful, and give county, by county information. Most counties have a residency requirement, but it can be waived or challenged in court apparently if you really have a need to get a ccw permit. The best advice of course is to find the nearest county handing them out on an as issue basis with no residency requirement and get it there.

Default Guns & National Parks

Obscure but semi-related. If your driving through a federal park (ex. Yellowstone) with a shot gun or pistol the gun must be broken down (ex. 870 Remington - barrel off, etc. I think they even want the trigger disassembled (not a fast job)). This is per my brother in law in Wy who's a sheriff. We got out there quite a bit and make a big loop through NV, Utah, up into Wyoming/MT, exit northern Montana through Yellowstone, etc.

State rules maybe you can BS with, federal - I follow what they say.

jv

after all this discussing all we have is an "it appears" that you might be allowed to ccw depending on the city and or county. New question,Who can you call to get a binding legal answer? And I dont mean a "it appears" or "check with DOJ". I suggest that each of us call our legislator and ask them. George