Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying a Handgun While Wearing Waders

Default Carrying a Handgun While Wearing Waders

Anyone carry a handgun with waders on?

a buddy that i fish with carrys a handgun when he is out fishing. he puts it in the back pocket on his fishing vest. saw another guy that carries one in a holster on his chest under his waders. im looking at holsters to carry my xd40. trying to decide if i want to carry on my chest or side.

seems that access to a handgun would be pretty poor on a belt holster inside your waders, chest holster access would be much better with a heavy caliber revolver.

I gave the issue of carrying a firearm a lot of thought, as most do. I looked at a shoulder holster and a belt holster and decided to carry it in my Simms Headwaters Waist Pack which is in front and easy to access. I did keep in mind that I could possibly get my firearm wet so I chose to go with the stainless steel version .44 mag with a 4 inch barrel. The reason for such a large caliber is that I had a very close encounter with a Bear in the Sierra Nevadas, too close for my comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by stonefly58 View Post
    I gave the issue of carrying a firearm a lot of thought, as most do. I looked at a shoulder holster and a belt holster and decided to carry it in my Simms Headwaters Waist Pack which is in front and easy to access. I did keep in mind that I could possibly get my firearm wet so I chose to go with the stainless steel version .44 mag with a 4 inch barrel. The reason for such a large caliber is that I had a very close encounter with a Bear in the Sierra Nevadas, too close for my comfort.
    I would bet there is an interesting story in there about the bear, care to share?

I am hoping to purchase a handgun this summer (can't figure out how to strap my 12 gauge on under my vest ). I think I was being stocked by a Mountain Lion a few summers ago while fishing in the upper reaches of the American. I will carry one when fishing remote areas once I make the purchase. I would like to hear the bear encounter story as well?
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman

LCR.... Light Carry Revolver fits right in the little chest pocket of your waders above the belt... You do not even know it is there... Come to the Gun counter at Sportsmans Warehouse in Rocklin and I would be happy to show you one....Frank

Lots of old timers use to carry a pistol while fishing.

Some had bird shot for the first two rounds for rattle snakes.

You do have black bears and mountain lions to concider.

You do have so strange folks out in the woods too.

Then you have the one growing pot.

Until recently a concealed weapon was a misdemeanor but I think now it is a felony?

Stainless steel pistol sounds good for fisher folks.

A small one in the front pocket of your waders or even in one of your fly fishing vest pockets sounds good.

I was in the gun business for about 10 years in three different stores so I heard a lot of stories.......

__________________________________________________ _________________________

I had an old friend who was confronted by two weird guys just out of Forrest Hill. He was fishing and they came up to him and with a maybe a knife and club and told him they were going to take all his stuff and his car.

He told them that he would go along with them then he got to his pistol and it all changed. They were both actually on a bicycle so he had them marched in front of his car and walked them into town and called the law.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Another old customer was in his pickup and cab-over camper up near the Rubicon River. He and his wife pulled off a logging road and just parked over night on a little side spot. In the morning he was up before his wife outside the camper when a dozen of so guys on motorcycles pulled up and started talking to him.

One of them said, "Well old timer, how about fixing us some breakfast? He said he didn't cook and his wife was still sleeping in the camper. One of them said, "Well, let's wake her up and get this breakfast going." When the guy started to go into his camper he said, I'll get her up.

When he came out of the camper with the 45 pistol he brought home from WWII he shot one in the air an said, "Who wants to die this morning boys?"

He said they left very fast.......

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Maybe having a pistol out in the wilds is a good thing?

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Alessio View Post
    LCR.... Light Carry Revolver fits right in the little chest pocket of your waders above the belt... You do not even know it is there... Come to the Gun counter at Sportsmans Warehouse in Rocklin and I would be happy to show you one....Frank
    Frank, how does that compare to the S&W Featherweights. I own one and love it, the LCR looks comparable for less $. I just got the LC9 which is growing on me but heavier than the S&W.

Jacket pocket or wader pouch if no jacket.

Jim

I had a friend back in Michigan that always had a small handgun in the upper inside pocket of his fishing vest. He said he's had "live iron" drawn on him twice in his life. He didn't want that to happen again.

It almost feels like you have to these days if you get too far off the beaten track... The hard part is getting the CCW. If you live in an area like Sonoma, they are dang difficult to get...
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!