Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Carrying a Handgun While Wearing Waders

To all, carrying a concealed weapon without a CCW is a violation of Ca. law. Back in the day law enforcement might ignore the fact if you were in a situation where you were forced to defend yourself, if you were illegally carrying a handgun. Today, if you are forced to display or even use a handgun in self defense, and were carrying the weapon concealed w/o a CCW, there is a very good chance you may be a arrested, or the investigating officers will file a report with the local district attorney requesting charges be filed against you.

I appreciate the belief of many that say that it would be worth it if it saves their life. I am in my 37th year of law enforcement. I have seen countless times the victim of a crime become the accused while defending himself or his family. If it is difficult to obtain a CCW where you live, you can always move up here to Yuba or Sutter Counties. The Sheriff's of these counties believe if you are a law abiding citizen with a valid reason, you are entitled to obtain one.

Bill Siler

Hey-

Very interesting thread with good info. I've personally never had a problem out in the sticks where a weapon would have been needed, although I was once stalked by what I think was a Mountain Lion along the John Muir Trail. Would never want to shoot a magnificent animal like that, anyway.

I have seen several conflicts on the San Lorenzo River during steelhead season, but, fortunately, none involving weapons. Idiots are a fact of life on a stream with so many people so close by...

T.

Carry a firearm while fishing is a big responsibility. I carry a firearm everywhere I go. I am not really worried about wild animals, I am more worried about the two legged animals that I see while out in the woods. Having a firearm is just like having a clippers, leaders and tippet's for me. I carry a S&W 357 Mag Chief Special stainless steel. I have carried it everywhere. It's big enough and I have deer hunting rounds in it 180 grain bullets. Remember the frame is stainless steel. The inner workings are not all stainless. So when you get it wet make sure you do a good clean up on it. It's a little heavy than the air lights - but I don't have to worry about what load I can shoot. It will handle big heavy loaded magnum rounds or light 38 for target shooting. Great all around handgun. I even carry it at work as a one of my back up firearms.

Also be legal while you carry. Check out the DFG, Penal Codes and restriction in wilderness areas. if you get stopped by a law enforcement personal - make sure you inform them and that you have permits. Get a concealed weapons permit and make sure you practice with the firearm. Be careful and be safe with it.

Bill said something that is right on. I like to carry snake shot in mine. The first two rounds are usually snake shot in my revolver.
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

I'd read about the concealed carry rule when you're fishing/hunting many years ago, but have never considered carrying. I've fished some sketchy places down around socal and still didn't carry. If I feel that unsafe then I'm not having any fun and might as well stay home. I fish to relax.
    Hope the folks with snake shot aren't shooting too many snakes as we're invading their home, not the other way around. I've seen a few buzzworms while out fishing but only too photos.

I'm with John, I don't carry while I fish as I try to avoid fishing places that make me feel uneasy about encounters. If I do want to fish one of those places, I will typically just invite a buddy along. I do carry a K-Bar knife in my chest pack, even if someone were to pull a gun on me I would be happy if all that happened was he took my truck and wallet, no sense in getting into a shootout over a 2001 F150.

wow I'm quite surprised about number people carrying while fishing. I can see the reason for it, I'll just stick to areas that I hope are safer and keep my fingers crossed.

good thread.

I carry a large caliber large frame revolver at all times when I am fishing. I carry it loaded and in plain sight. The only comment I have ever received from a LEO was regarding my holster and where he can buy one. I have been stalked by lions, spooked bears on my hike out, and stumbled into places that had things growing. I take my rights as a citizen very seriously, use them or lose them!

I carry a fully loaded 12 gauge shotgun with me at all times when out in the woods..................when I'm bird hunting.
    And only then.
    Tayler, no offense bud but I've had all those experiences many times over and never even thought about needing a gun.

I've been eyeballed by a mama cat as a potential food source but a gun never crossed my mind. I waved my rod case and spoke and she vanished without a trace. Really, no trace. No tracks, bent weeds, tufts of hair, nothing.

Hiking back up out of the North Fork once I clearly heard a bear foraging it's way towards me. I stepped off the trail and leaned against a tree to wait and get a look. Well, I never got that look as the wind wasn't in my favor. With the sounds about 50 yards out it got real quiet except for a loud sniffing noise and then the sound of a freight train heading away from me. Never crossed my mind to shoot it.

These animals are out there all the time and they are very little risk to adult male humans. The cat "stalking" me is a curious cat. A large one I'll grant you but still fairly predictable. Coyotes do it also. Never seen a bobcat do it but I'm sure that's just because they're so sneaky.

Now if you're fishing where you may have trouble with two legged animals I can see your point. Shoot a tweeker save a (fill in anything here).

And I would never shoot a snake.

Maybe I'm just damned lucky to still be alive, or it may be that the bears and lions aren't all that dangerous to humans.

Could go either way.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

I just have to say before this goes sideways, that perhaps we might leave this original thread "as is". All 8 pages (9 now!) relating to a simple request for info on options for how to cary a firearm while fishing. I was pleasantly surprised at how civil it remained, and despite some tangents here and there for the most part remained a fairly respectful debate, albeit not entirely "on topic". My best guess is that a lot of good people were being careful with their fingers and keeping a lot of knee jerk comments out of the discussion; which would be appropriate since the OP was hardly asking for opinions regarding guns, or gun control, or the bill of rights... or anything else surrounding a hot button topic. Just honest experiences and suggestions about carrying options.

I am sure there are plenty of strong opinions out there surrounding many of these issues, but I somehow doubt very much that anyone's mind will be changed based on a back and forth banter here about the merits or myths about carrying a firearm fishing. It would be a pretty cool thing to be able to ask a relevant question here without it boiling down to a rehashing of all the old arguments. This thread is pretty old. It was fairly civil, all things considered, and I would say let it die a peaceful death. If anyone is really dying for some inflammatory "debate" on gun control, immigration, gay marriage, abortion... etc, etc, etc... it's not that hard to find out there nowadays.

I'd offer my suggestions to the OP, but have no idea. Never needed, never carried, no interest ... but that is completely unrelated and beside the point.
    my 2cents
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown